Before The Fire Part 1

"You have got to be kidding me."

Douglas shakes his head, looking heavily amused and she has to resist the urge to slap him around his 'precious' face.

"I work alone. How many fucking times do I have to tell you that?" She all but growls at him, and if anything it just makes him smile wider. She's so angry.

"Look Waters, we all know you're the best there is. That does not, however, hide the fact that you nearly got yourself killed on your last case." He inhales for the briefest of moments and she decides this is the perfect time to argue her case, but she's very rudely interrupted.

"Wait, you didn't tell me I'd be working with Waters. As in Rosa Waters? Sir with all respect, she's pretty much a celebrity! Do you really think I'm capable of-" The boy sitting in the chair opposite Douglas looks fucking star-struck. Looking up at her, his face tells of a mixture of different emotions - shock, a little bit more shock, and a whole lot more shock.

Overall, however, he looks like the cat that had just got the cream. It makes her want to vomit.

"Castano, you're pretty much a celebrity here too. We've heard legendary stories from Chicago." It's Rosa's turn to be minimally star-struck now, but there is not a chance in hell she will show it. Castano is a pretty decent agent, if the rumours from Chicago are true. Okay, they says he's even better than she is, but there's no way that's possible.

She's shocked that this guy is sitting here in the same room as her for a completely different reason.

"What's your name?"

"Emily."

"Mine's Roger."

"And you've even got Ralph fucking Castano to come and help your cause. Douglas, you're losing your touch." she pauses and waits for one of them to pipe up. She smirks in triumph when neither man does.

"Okay. Douglas, let's play a game. It's a guessing game. What do these three cases have in common? Dobben and Varakov, 2010, Smithers, 2013 and my favourite, The Yellow Flower Collar Gang, 2014. Go on, Douglas, what do they have in common?" She purses her lips together as she waits for him to answer.

"You finished them each within a week?" They both know what she wants him to say, but being the guy he is, he doesn't rise to the bait.

"They're all some of the most famous cases to have ever been solved?" Roger- or whatever his name is - queries, and she can't even be bothered to acknowledge that he spoke.

"Yes, but I also finished them all alone. And can I also remind you that you pay me to solve cases, go undercover to arrest or kill culprits and to save the nation from attacks from wide-scale organisations? You do not pay me to babysit." Folding her arms she glares at the boy sat to the right of her and a wave of regret washes over her.

"What's the occasion? Not a lot of guys can sit at bar alone, drinking alone without even at least trying to talk to a girl the entire time they're there."

"How long have you been watching me?"

"Obviously not long enough."

"I'm celebrating. New job starts tomorrow."

"I don't quite think this is the way to celebrate. You turn up at your new job tomorrow drunk and I can't say you'll last long there."

"Well how would you recommend I celebrate instead?"

"Waters, I don't care! You are the best, he's the second best, I will not deny you that, but one of the days, God forbid you get a little bit more cocky than you already are, and you get yourself killed! The only reason I'm giving you a partner now is only for someone to watch your back, now get out of my office, I'll send you the address of where you're both supposed to be tonight by email in a second."