Chapter 21

Calista cleared her throat before muttering into the phone, "I'll talk to you later." She turned to see Sebastian watching her, an eyebrow raised. She gave a watery smile before shrugging.

"Who do you think is dead?" Sebastian repeated, his stormy eyes daring her to lie to him.

"No one...just some celebrity in one of those magazine you had Roger give me. Someone named Hawk Harrington. Have you heard of him? They accused him of killing his girlfriend...and Janelle thought it was just a huge scam but I told her that's impossible. That they couldn't make that stuff up, right? And then I told her that I thought the girlfriend was dead."

"You're rambling," Sebastian said.

Calista tugged at the collar of her dress shirt. "Am I?"

"Mr. Dover," Roger's voice called out.

Calista silently gave her thanks to the much-needed interruption and Sebastian's assistant came towards them, several files in hand.

"What is it Roger?" Sebastian asked, his gaze remaining on Calista.

"I wanted to remind you that the visit to the children's home was moved up an hour," Roger answered. "You and several employees will be attending tomorrow. I've called a select few reporters to cover the story." He glanced at Calista and sighed. "Are you sure you want Ms. Dover to attend?"

"Me?" Calista couldn't help but ask, pointing to herself. "No one told me about going to a children's home."

"In the past you haven't been photographed with children in a flattering light," Sebastian said.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Roger pulled up his phone, pressed some buttons, and passed it to Calista. Calista scrolled through the photographs with column headlines displaying her in various moments of disaster involving children. The first photograph showed Calista with a young girl who had gum stuck in her hair. The headline read, "Dover Heir Destroys Young Girl's Hair." Apparently Calista had tossed her used gum but it missed the trash can and landed in the young girl's curls.

The next picture showed Calista yelling at a group of kids who were crying. The headline read, "Billionaire Bully."

"I don't remember any of that," Calista mumbled.

"How could you if you have amnesia," Sebastian smirked, an eyebrow raised.

"You've never really liked children," Roger said. "Perhaps this isn't a good idea."

"No, we need to show her interacting with children in a positive light. After what happened at St. Anthony's, she needs this. I think she can do it. Isn't that right, Calista?" Sebastian waited for her to answer and finally she nodded.

"Yes, of course." Calista smiled, a feeling of apprehension filling her stomach.