Everything Changes

The following day dawned just as leaden and rainy as the previous one. Hagrid was still absent from the staff table at breakfast.

“But on the plus side, no Snape today,” said Ron bracingly.

Hermione yawned widely and poured herself some coffee. She looked mildly pleased about something, and when Ron asked her what she had to be so happy about, she simply said, “The hats have gone. Seems the house-elves do want freedom after all.”

“I wouldn’t bet on it,” Ron told her cuttingly. “They might not count as clothes. They didn’t look anything like hats to me, more like woolly bladders.” I choked on my Orange juice.

Hermione did not speak to him all morning.

Double Charms was succeeded by double Transfiguration. Professor Flitwick and Professor McGonagall both spent the first fifteen minutes of their lessons lecturing the class on the importance of O.W.L.s.

“What you must remember,” said little Professor Flitwick squeakily, perched as ever on a pile of books so that he could see over the top of his desk, “is that these examinations may influence your futures for many years to come! If you have not already given serious thought to your careers, now is the time to do so. And in the meantime, I’m afraid, we shall be working harder than ever to ensure that you all do yourselves justice!”

We then spent more than an hour reviewing Summoning Charms, which according to Professor Flitwick were bound to come up in our O.W.L.

“Accio.” I said pointing my wand at him, and his pointed hat flew into my hand. “This is boring Sir.” I whined as I sent it back.

“You can never practice too much.” He squeaked bluntly.

He rounded off the lesson by setting us our largest amount of Charms homework ever, and a beautiful essay about Summoning charms.

It was the same, if not worse, in Transfiguration.

“You cannot pass an O.W.L.,” said Professor McGonagall grimly, “without serious application, practice, and study. I see no reason why everybody in this class should not achieve an O.W.L. in Transfiguration as long as they put in the work.” Neville made a sad little disbelieving noise. “Yes, you too, Longbottom,” said Professor McGonagall. “There’s nothing wrong with your work except lack of confidence. So . . . today we are starting Vanishing Spells. These are easier than Conjuring

Spells, which you would not usually attempt until N.E.W.T. level, but they are still among the most difficult magic you will be tested on in your O.W.L.”

Tap. Tap. Tap. “Evanesco.” I said, and on my first try I’d vanishafied my snail, earning twenty points. “No!” I whined. “Professor, can I get him back. His name was Bob. He was my friend.”

“Are you going to keep whining until the end of the lesson?” she asked me in annoyance, but I could tell she was impressed with me.

“Yup!” I chirped, so she pointed her wand at my desk and the snail reappeared. “Yay! Thank you Miss!”

“You’re welcome Miss Willow.” She sighed.

“Do I need to keep going or can I start on my charms essay?” I asked her.

“What makes you complain less?” she asked.

“Well…” I said truly unable to answer.

“Okay, what about, if you bring your snail back by yourself, you can do charms.” She smirked, that was NEWT level stuff.

“I accept.” I said dramatically. “Evanesco!” It disappeared again. “Prodgeo!”  And it reappeared. “AHA!” I began to chant a song called “I’m amazing.”