Levi

Last year watching Lane from afar i could not help but feel like something was wrong. Then today he seemed far away even more.

What happened this summer? Why is he so distant? Could i help him? God i hope so.

I was happy when Mrs. Smith put me and him in a pair. This was going to be fun. I was ready to get started. This project would take over four weeks to get done. That's a week to answer the 50 or more questions in a week. One to do the sleepover and then the last was to write the paper. The reason i say paper because this was going to be more than one week for me to write it.

When Mrs. Smith had told us to get with our partners. i noticed that Lane was looking out the window. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here or that he was in deep thought.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and he turned around really quick. I watched something to fly though his eyes. "Lane you and i are partners." his eyes widen as though he did not hear me or that we were assigned something. I went on to explain the project and he was listening closely. I watched his face and i saw fear jump into his eyes.

He was hiding something and i dont really know if i want to find out. After the bell run i waited for the room to empty out and i looked at him, "meet me at the library at six for the start of the project." i turned and walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After practice i washed up and headed to the library. I waited out from and watched the night sky. I felt his presence before he was ten feet away. I turned and smiled at him. "It's a little nippy this afternoon," i knew that fall would be early this year but this was unusual. I smiled at him, "it is. Let go print the papers off and get started."

After we printed the papers off i followed him to this table in the back of the library that was hidden from the public. I guess this is his place. When we get there we put our stuff down pull out our print off papers and pencils out.

I started by asking him all the questions. I saved the 10 for last and when i asked, "What is your sexual orientation?" it he looked anywhere but to me when he answered it. "I am gay," his voice was so low and soft.

He cleared his voice and went to ask me the first question, but we heard someone coming and it was one of the librarians telling us the library was closing. I smiled and told her we would be right there. I put my papers in my bag and headed for the door with Lane right behind me.

We left the library and i was making my way to my car my mom let me barrow. I looked back to see Lane walking down the street. I frowned i cannot let him walk home in the dark, "Lane?" he turned to me, "you need a ride home?" he seemed to contemplate and nodded his head. He walked over and got in the car. He told me the address and i followed the directions that google maps gave me.

I pulled up to the curb and he went to get out, "Lane? I want to meet you tomorrow and answer the questions for you. If that's cool meet me at the library at six if not call this number or just tell me at school." he just took the paper and got out my car. I watch him walk to the door he knocked once and then went on in.

This is going to be a long month.