Chapter Thirty-Eight - Broken

Chapter thirty-eight – Broken

~~

-Citria's Point of View-

My eyes widen, and the force I once used to try and prise the mystery person away from Michael dissolves into nothingness. Out of breath from the amount of effort I put in, I stare at the man – who has now locked Michael against the wall with his hand – and try to get my head around all this.

"Y-You're Marco?" I gasp, my eyes then averting to Michael, who looks terrified right about now. "The one who ... was on the phone ... "

Michael's eyes meet mine, and just from looking at him, I can tell he's furious with me. I told him Marco wouldn't find us – and here he is, pinning Michael against the wall by his neck. Michael was right; I feel so foolish.

"That's right. I came to pay Clover a little visit," he answers, his eyes finding Clover's at last. "Sweetheart, I've missed you. Living in England without you wasn't so fun." His tone is sly, which suggests he doesn't mean what he says.

"Why are you here, Marco?" Clover demands, backing up behind Reiss. Reiss places a protective arm in front of Clover, eyeing up his ex-best friend.

"I just told you!" Marco laughs, finally letting go of Michael. Michael immediately collapses to the floor, breathing heavily and coughing madly in attempt to get his breath back. "I came here to see you!" He walks over to Clover, but Reiss holds her safely behind him. "And Reiss ... how ya been, buddy?" He playfully punches Reiss' chest, before looking at his niece. "So, so lovely to see you again, Clover darling."

"Back off, Marco," Clover hisses, gripping tightly to the sleeve of Reiss' shirt. "Go back to England. Or better yet, go to Hell."

"And what have you been doing here the last two months, huh?" Marco smirks, gently caressing his niece's cheek. "Where have you been staying?"

"That's none of your concern," she answers, anger clear in her tone. She looks up at Reiss, tears in her eyes. "How did he find us, Reiss?"

Reiss shakes his head, looking Marco dead in the eye. His eyes hold many different emotions – they're glazed-over with anger; there are tears in them from fear; and they're half-lidded with fury. But yet, he doesn't speak a word.

"Well, now you've seen her Sir. You can go home or whatever, now," I burst in, hoping to rid the negative atmosphere between everyone right about now. My sudden words cause everyone to stare at me, Michael included. He must really hate me right now.

But then, I remember father is in the kitchen waiting for us. He's probably wondering what's happening! But I can't get to him; between me and father, there's Marco, Reiss, Clover and the kitchen door. There's no way I can get to him.

Marco laughs at me, turning on his heel from his niece, to me. Slowly, he paces over to me, the floorboards thudding underfoot. "Sweetheart, I'm not going to be leaving for a long time. Count on that."

Without warning, Michael jumps up from his kneeling position on the floor, and points accusingly at Marco. "You ... you killed all my family, didn't you? You told Astrix to do that, didn't you!" By now, his face is red and contorted in fury, and his nostrils flaring with anger. Part of me believes that some of that anger is for me, though.

Marco furrows his brows, confused, and smiles at Michael as he does so. "I ... killed your family? And what evidence do you have of that?"