Chapter Twenty-Six - Promise

Chapter twenty-six – Promise

~~

-The following morning-

"Citria? Citria? Wake up; it's morning, my Angel ... "

Michael's voice brings me out of my sleep the next morning, but that isn't even what I draw my attention to; rather, my heart misses a beat from just two of the words in the sentence.

"My Angel".

That is the first proper nickname he's given me, apart from "Cit", which is just a shortened version of my name. I really hope he keeps this "Angel" nickname up – I love it already. Just that alone has made me feel even more special than I already did being his.

"Morning Michael." My voice is hoarse because I've just woken up, so I clear my throat a little to decongest it. It's then that I notice Michael leaning in to give me a morning kiss, so I lightly place my fingers over his lips, "Um, Michael ... morning breath, remember?"

He furrows his eyebrows, his face still close to mine, "Well ... in all honesty? I couldn't care less. I already brushed my teeth, and just 'cause you haven't, that doesn't mean to say I don't want to kiss you." My mouth opens to speak, but before I can, he speaks once again, "Now let me kiss you, Citria. Okay?"

A small chuckle escapes my lips as I give him permission to kiss me. He does so, and upon separating his lips from mine, a mellow smile makes its presence known on his face. It makes me so happy knowing that I have brought that smile to his face, no matter how small it is.

"So, seeing Clover and your father today?" Michael goes on to ask, "I'm correct, right?"

I nod my head, "Yes, we are. You're okay with that?"

His tiny smile becomes a larger one, as if assuring me it's alright, "Why wouldn't it be okay? After the accomplishment of being around all those people last night, seeing them will be nothing." He then gets out of bed, searching for clothing around the room, "And besides, I enjoy going to see them."

"But where do you and Clover stand?" I find myself asking seriously, "I mean, I know you feel nothing towards her, but the way she is around you just ... doesn't give me a good impression."

He finds his shirt, before turning around to see me still in bed. Lifting his pyjama shirt over his head, he walks over to me. I'm struggling to focus on anything but his chest in all honesty; it's rather adorable to look at. But the seriousness of my previous words kind of overrules it.

His expression indicates he wants me to trust him in what he's about to say, so I remain silent as he slips a new shirt on. After he's done this, he rests a hand under my chin, lifting it up slightly so we make eye contact.

"Listen, Cit. There's absolutely nothing in my heart for Clover. You believe me when I say that, don't you?"

All I need to do is nod my head. He gives a closed-mouth smile, inhaling deeply before he continues to speak.

"And as for her feelings for me? I can't tell with that one. Perhaps she's just in need of a friend, and I'm the only person she knows who isn't blood related. It could just be as simple as that ... alright?"

"I don't even know why I'm so hyped-up over this," I admit, my voice saddened, "I mean, it's not like you're going to cheat on me with her. I trust you ... and I should trust her, too. I'm sorry for being too much of a worrier."

"Don't ever apologise, Angel. Worrying shows how much you care; that's why I worry for you so much. We both worry about one another because we care for one another. It makes sense." He lowers my chin, but still keeps his hand rested beneath it, so I break the eye contact between us for a moment. However, before too long, he moves his head, trying to regain the eye contact, so I take the hint and look back at him, "I'd be more worried if you didn't worry about other girls liking me. I know you're dedicated to me; I'm dedicated to you too. You better not forget that you and I are forever and a half."