Prologue: A Dream?

Her eyes flashed open. She took a deep breath as she realized it had been just another nightmare.

Darkness surrounded her completely. Only the sound of her quick breaths could be heard in the silence of the night.

She reached out to grab her phone from her bedside table but her hand only met with a cold and rough surface.

Immediately, she started to panic. She wasn't in her room. Where was she?!

Realizing she was lying down in an unknown place, the girl sat up quickly and tried to stay calm even though it was a hard task.

She tried to make out something in the darkness, but her eyes hadn't still gotten used to the lack of light. She pricked up her ears so maybe the sounds could give her a clue of where she was at. But it was completely quiet.

The girl stood up and was about to look for her phone in her jeans pockets when she realized she was wearing her pijamas.

Then, of a sudden, something finally made a sound. A far away light accompanied that noise as well. It was a buzzing sound, continuous and very loud. Almost like the one of a vehicle: a car or a motorbike.

The light was closer each second, and it lit the road she was in.

A road? What was she doing in the middle of a road?!

The girl yelped when the source of that noise approximated at the speed of lightning. It was about to hit her. Shutting her eyes tight and holding her arms before her face to try and protect herself, she braced for the impact.

But it never came.

"What-?" A male voice startled her, making her open her eyes.

Before her was a boy around her age. Tan skin, sweet brown eyes, short dark hair and strong built.

The boy was sitting in his motorbike, which still roared loudly. He was staring at her, completely dumbfounded as to what was a girl like her doing alone in the middle of the road so late at night.

"Are you okay?" He looked her up and down, wondering if she was harmed or if she needed help.

"I... I..." Still in shock as her mind raced to try and understand, she tried to say anything. But none coherent words arrived to her mouth.

"What's your name?" He asked her instead, hoping that at least she could answer to that. Hoping that she knew her own name and didn't have amnesia.

"Catori" She answered, gulping down the lump in her throat.

The boy dedicated her a kind smile that lit up his brown eyes and walked up to her, leaving his bike behind for a moment.

"I'm Scott" Realizing she was wearing her pajamas –a blue pair of pajama pants with yellow little ducks and white clouds and a blue tank top with the same design –and she was barefoot, he decided to help her.

Catori definitely looked scared, which meant that she had no idea how she ended up there. Or that whatever events that led her to the point hadn't been nice to go through.

Scott took his jacket off and offered it to her, who hesitated for a moment before taking it and putting it on.

"Do you want me to take you home, Catori?"

"Please" The girl nodded energetically as she huddled under his warm jacket.

All she wanted to do was go back home and pretend like all that had been a nightmare. That she was dreaming because she was actually in her bed, inside her comfortable and safe room.

"Hop on" Scott sat on the motorbike again and she slowly followed.

Still in a daze, Catori positioned herself behind the boy and heaved a sigh as she put the helmet on. He had given it to her even though he apparently had only one.

"Hold on tight" He warned her, and she complied by wrapping her arms around his stomach.

Scott started the engine, and she shut her eyes tight as she waited to arrive home.

It had to be a dream.

It didn't make any sense that she found herself lost, in an unknown road in the middle of the night and a boy she didn't know had offered her to take her home.

No, she would soon wake up in her bed and realize it all had been just a strange dream.

It had to be a dream.