Chapter Four

Ginny woke up the next morning with a terrible headache. She had only been forced to dance twice last night, so her feet were barely sore. The first man had been dreadful. He was old and smelled like beer and old cheese. She couldn't forget how oily his mustache had been. She was very glad when Lord Thomas Wells had swooped her away, saving her from that mess. Lord Thomas Wells had seemed kind enough, but she wasn't drawn to him. They had left on a good note, though, and she hoped to see him again.

Reluctantly, she pushed off her heavy bedsheets and rolled out of bed, the dreams of last night slipping away. She slipped on one of her casual day dresses. It was a boring old dress, but it didn't require the assistance of a lady's maid. She quietly tiptoed down the stairs and slipped into the kitchen. It was still early in the morning and no one was yet awake. There was frost on the windows and a deep chill had settled into the kitchen, making her shiver.

The cook nodded to her, "Good morning m'lady. Isn't it a bit early for young lady like yourself to be up and moving about? Especially after the ball last night?"

"It's never to early to get a taste of your blueberry muffins, Cook." Ginny smiled, reaching for one of the warm muffins that has just come out of the oven. She hated to wait until later, when they would be cold and no longer gooey and soft with deliciousness.

The cook batted her hand away when she tried to steal a second, "Naughty girl. Be on your way."

Ginny laughed and left her alone to prepare the mornings breakfast. She went to her father's library and curled up in the window seat. She wiped away he frost, leaving her hand feeling cold as it touched the chilly glass. She gasped at the sight before her. There was a carriage sitting outside the door. And Lord Knightly, the man her sister had been conversing with last night, was coming up to the door.

Ginny abandoned her muffin on the window seat and scurried up the stairs. She hurried to her mother's room and knocked loudly. A tired looking Lady Stockwell creaked open the door, "Ginny do you know what hour it is? It is only half past six and I would like to get my rest."

"But mother, Lord Knightly is here!" She whispered urgently.

Lady Stockwell's eyes widened to the size of her most expensive china dishes, "Good heavens! This early?"

Her father came to the door, peering over his wife's shoulder. He rubbed his tired eyes, "Ginny, dear, what is all this commotion about?"

"Lord Knightly is at the door!" Ginny explained again.

"Lord Knightly? You are sure?" He was immediately alert, pulling on his dressing robe.

"Yes. He's here." She assured her father, urging him to hurry.

"Why so early?" Her father grumbled as he slipped back into his room to get decent.

"I'll wake your sister." Lady Stockwell hurried down the hallway and knocked on Rosamaria's door. She quietly explained to Rosamaria that she needed to get ready and then joined Ginny at the steps.

Ginny hurried down the steps with Lady Stockwell at her heels. When they reached the drawing room, they saw the butler had already let Lord Knightly inside.  Ginny froze in her spot, feeling nervous at seeing Lord Knightly again. Why was he so scary?

Her mother gently squeezed her arm and moved past her to greet their early morning guest. Rosamaria finally made her appearance, coming down the steps, looking as graceful as a swan in her white morning dress. Next to her, Ginny practically appeared to be a poor servant girl. Perhaps she should have called on the lady's maid this morning to help her dress.

Even though she looked every bit the part of a lady, Rosamaria was looking slightly fearful at the prospect of seeing Lord Knightly again and Ginny had to wonder why. Hadn't she said that she courting the man? Wouldn't she be excited to see him? So many questions whirled around her head, making her dizzy.