Chapter Ten

"I wish I wasn't your wife," he heard Ginny say.

Stephen tampered down the anger that was boiling inside of him.  She had ignored him and went off to find her sister. Not only that but sheet so far as to go inside of Deliah's.  What could have happened to her if one of the men had mistaken her for one of the girl's? Stephen didn't want to even think about it.  He continued leading Ginny down the docks, back home. It was still dark out and drunken men and prostitutes were roaming the streets like lost souls.

"Stephen!" Ginny cried out.

He realized he was holding onto her arm tightly and loosened his hold, but he didn't let go.  Ginny yanked on her arm, "Please just listen to me!"

"That is enough!" He turned around, a sneer on his face. Ginny shrank back, but kept her eyes on him. "We are going home!  Your sister is staying where she is!"

"Do you not care?!" Ginny snapped back. Stephen saw her bottom lip tremble slightly. "She's my sister, Stephen. I cannot abandon her."

"She seems to be doing fine. Deliah will take care of her." Stephen clenched his teeth in anger.

"And then what? She will die of some terrible disease? Or from some man mistreating her? She doesn't deserve that kind of life." Ginny started to cry.

Stephen released her arm and reached out to brush away her tears.  Why was seeing her upset so heartbreaking?  This woman was changing his heart. He was becoming soft and he didn't like it.  What had happened to the rough military man he had been but a month ago? Ginny sobbed and threw herself into his arms, clutching his shirt with her hands.  Stephen stiffened, unsure of what to do.  He carefully placed his arms around her.

"I'm sorry," Ginny sobbed.

Stephen pulled her back and gently wiped her face with his handkerchief. "We need to go home.  It's late. We can discuss this later at a more decent hour."

Ginny hesitated for a moment, and Stephen was worried she would insist on going back to her sister again.  Instead, she simply nodded.  The fight had gone out of her.  She continued to clutch his arm as they walked down the sidewalk back to the house.

"I hope Rosamaria remains safe." Ginny said quietly.

Stephen didn't respond. Instead he led his wife back inside of the house and took her coat from her.  They both walked up the steps in silence. Stephen turned to her, "Do you need anything?"

Ginny shook her head, trying to stop her trembling lip, "No."

Stephen gently cupped her cheek, running his thumb over her smooth skin.  His eyes were drawn to her lips, but he held back from kissing her.  She was like a frightened deer, and he didn't want to frighten her anymore.  He delicately brushed his lips over her forehead and turned to his bedroom door, "Goodnight, then."

"Goodnight." her voice was barely a whisper, and it made his heart break.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

I apologize for the short chapter, but I have been neglecting writing this story.  I know some of you reader's out there are anxious for more so here is a little something until I find the time to write more. Remember to vote and comment please! It means a lot! Thanks :)

-Rosanna