Chapter Nine

Ginny slammed her bedroom door shut. She couldn't believe that man! Rosamaria was right about marrying him. She was always right. But was it better than living out on the streets? Ginny clenched her fists and forced away those thoughts. It didn't matter now. She was bound to this man by marriage. She was his wife and she had to listen to him.

She sighed and looked out the window. Would Rosamaria be okay? Where was she know? Ginny didn't care what Stephen said. She would go out and look for her sister tonight, just to make sure she was okay. She could probably sneak out of the back door without Stephen knowing.

Someone knocked on her door, and assuming it was Stephen Ginny said angrily, "Go away! I don't want to talk!"

Kitty swung open the door, looking pouty, "Well that's a warm welcome."

"Oh Kitty! It's only you." Ginny relaxed.

"Well 'oo did ye think it was?" Kitty replied sourly. She shook her head. "Never mind. Oi just came to collect the laundry."

Ginny watched the maid storm around the room, collecting Ginny's discarded clothing. Ginny couldn't help but laugh, which only made Kitty angry, "Oi don't see what's so funny m'lady."

"I apologize, Kitty. Please allow me to explain myself." Ginny smiled sweetly.

The maid crossed get arms, "Well git on wit it."

"Lord Knightly and I got into bit of an argument and I thought you were him at my door. I'm not angry at you Kitty." Ginny explained.

The maid still stood there stiffly, but the anger quickly left her eyes, "Why didn't ye just say so? Well then, Oi guess Oi'll 'ave ta forgive ye. Oh and m'lady? What 'appended to yer face? Appears as if a bear mulled it."

Ginny touched her cheek, "Oh it's nothing."

"Oi'll still git ye a bit of ice to put on it." Kitty promised, leaving with her arms full of laundry.

Just as promised, Kitty sent up another maid with a piece of ice for Ginny's face. It helped the swelling go down, of which Ginny was grateful.

That very night, Ginny slipped on a heavy, black cloak and gathered bread and cheese into a soft cloth for her sister to eat. As se crept down the stairs a soft voice halted her, "Where are ye headed m'lady?"

Ginny glanced over her shoulder, her hand on the front door handle. Kitty stood at the top of the steps, watching her like a bird of prey.

"Nothing for you to worry about." Ginny replied.

"Oi'll pretend Oi never saw ye, m'lady." Kitty walked away.

She completely appreciated Kitty's secrecy as she snuck out the door into a nearby alley. She crept down the sidewalk a ways before stopping a carriage. She called up to the driver.

"Good sir, have you seen the Lady Rosamaria Sherman?"

"I have, young miss." he said. Her spirits lifted at that. Maybe she would be able to find her after all and they could smooth things over. He nodded. " Walking the docks with the other women around here."

Ginny's heart dropped but she forced a smile. "Oh. Thank you."

Ginny pulled her cloak closer as she hurried towards the docks. She tried her best to avoid the drunk looking men, leering at the dressed up women roaming the docks at night. She hurried over to one of the buildings that was all lit up. Ginny could hear the laughter and chatter from inside and could smell a terrible mixture of beer, perfume, and smoke. She forced herself to knock anyways. A seductive young woman answered, leaning against the door frame.