Chapter One

A/N

Pour les personnes qui ne parlent pas l'anglais, vous pouvez lire ce livre en français en cliqnant sur le lien si-dessous.

Traduction par-LaTraductrice657

https://www.wattpad.com/user/LaTraductrice657

June 2017 Update/Editing
I finally have some time to go through and fix all the mistakes in this book!!! I've been getting a lot of tips and readers pointing out my silly grammer mistakes which really helps!! I hope my improvements live up to your standards lol :)

London, England
1813
Ginny Sherman was quiet, bookish girl with no suitors who wished to marry her.  She didn't care because in her eyes, she was still young and had time to find love.  Her parents most definitely were not okay with this notion of Ginny's of marrying for love, because like every young girl, she needed to be wed before she became an old spinster at thirty years of age. No one would marry her at that age if no man was interested in her now.  She would be a lonely old cat lady with a large library of books to read.  And she would be okay with that.

But her mother would hear nothing of it. Tonight, Ginny would be expected to attend the ball like every other young woman.

"The new season is starting and I expect your cards to be completely full at the ball tonight.  Dance with every man there if you have to.  Heaven help me, you will get married one of these days, Ginny." Her mother said.

She was on another one of her rants about how Ginny was getting old and losing her chance to marry.  About how Ginny needed to snatch up the opportunity while she was still young and had a wealthy dowry. And about how Ginny needed to be more like Rosamaria, her older and only sister. 

Rosamaria was a beauty.  She had a soft, heart shaped face and beautiful black curls that show cased her baby blue eyes.  She basically had every single man in town on their knees, kissing the ground she walked on.  Rosamaria was the belle of the ball, and Ginny was her shadow.  She followed her sister, quietly and obediently.  She was too afraid to converse with men or even look in their direction.  The thought of even holding a simple conversation terrified her.  Let alone dancing with them.

"Mother, could I stay home this time?  I haven't been feeling very well of late." Ginny explained, stepping away from the ladies maid that was touching her own dark curls.

Her mother cupped her daughter's face in concern.  She squinted her eyes at her daughter, "You are a little pale.  Nothing a little bit of rouge and tea can't fix.  Miss Amelia?  I don't pay you to stand around and stare at my daughter.  Get her some tea so she can feel better!"

The maid, Miss Amelia, curtsied and scurried away, looking relieved to escape the Countess's wrath.  Ginny took a seat, lifting a hand to her forehead. "Mother please.  I wish to stay home."

"You stayed home last year for the first week.  You haven't made any friends or found any suitors, Ginny." her mother took a seat next to Ginny, clasping her hand in her's. "I'm worried about you."

"I don't need friends.  Or a husband for that matter." Ginny shrugged.

"Of course you need a husband." she heard her sister say from the doorway.

Ginny turned around to glare at her sister.  She didn't want another opinion on what she did and didn't need in her life.  Rosamaria always gladly offered her opinion, whether Ginny wanted it or not.

Despite Ginny's glares, Rosamaria sauntered into the room, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. She had on a rosy red dress with a neckline that was cut much lower than Ginny's and a constricting bodice that hugged her hips, revealing her curves.  Rosamaria turned her nose up at the sight of her sister's childish dress. 

Ginny had on a white, high necked dress that was covered in lace and little red roses that ran up the side. Around her waist was a bright red ribbon to match the roses.  Ginny thought it was delicate and elegant.  Rosamaria probably thought her too much like a young, innocent girl.

"Please talk some sense into your sister, Rosamaria." Lady Stockwell threw up her hands in a very unladylike fashion. "I simply cannot get through to her."

Lady Stockwell walked out of the room as gracefully as she could, but Ginny could tell her mother was angry with her. Ginny eyed her sister warily, "You won't change my mind about this dress."

"I don't plan to." Rosamaria came over and sat on the bench next to her sister.  She looked at herself in the vanity mirror, adjusting her curls.  She checked her lipstick before speaking to Ginny. "If you want to find your place at the ball, Ginny, you need to be a little more...showy."

"I'm not trying to sell my body off to the highest bidder." Ginny spat in disgust. "I don't want a man's lust and money. I want to find love. You're just playing a silly little game like all of the other girls. You cake on a face of makeup and dress in your best clothes and hope that your silly flirtations will get you a wealthy husband. I don't want to take part of that."

Her eyes practically begged for her sister to understand. But Rosamaria was blinded by her responsibilities as the oldest daughter. She had to marry a rich man to raise her social status. Ginny wouldn't be required to do the same.

"Ah but you see..."Rosamaria stood up, slightly angry at Ginny's judgements. "My silly little game is going to win me a husband, a higher social status, and our parents respect. Isn't that what you want as well?  And besides, love is a ridiculous notion. It doesn't exist."

Ginny turned away in anger. "Do what you want. But I don't wish to find a husband in that way."

"Very well." Rosamaria said, turning to leave. She hesitated at the door, glancing over her shoulder at Ginny, a hint of caring in her eyes. "You do know that we only want what is best for you Ginny. Please remember that."

Ginny stared at her hands that rested in her lap and waited to hear her sisters retreating footsteps before looking up in the mirror.  Her sister would never be satisfied with who Ginny was.  Her family wanted her to change herself and hide behind a facade in order to snatch up a husband. But Ginny wasn't going to change for others.  Not when she loved being herself.

Copyright ©  2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

IMPORTANT A/N!!!

Allow me to explain why their mother is now Lady Stockwell and not Lady Sherman. Ginny and Rosamaria are the daughters of the Earl of Stockwell (this is a completely fictional character. The Earl of Stockwell never existed in history). Apparently the Countess and Earl are addressed as Lady and Lord *title* not *surname* making them Lady and Lord Stockwell not the family name Sherman. I did a lot of research to figure this out. Ya learn something new everyday I guess haha :)
-Rosanna