three | maybe love at first sight

Start from the beginning

She felt her cheeks flame at his words. "I'm here now," she replied softly.

He took a deep breath as his smile faltered. "You're not apart of my pack," he remarked.

Annie sighed. She knew this was bound to come up sometime. "No, I'm from the Callisto Pack. We were... attacked last night."

Suddenly he was looking her over, checking for any signs of injuries. He was relieved to find none.

"I didn't get hurt..."

"Tristan," he said.

"Annie," she added. "I didn't get hurt. I ran with my brother until we got here."

"Is your brother fine?" Tristan asked, worry written across his face.

"Physically, yes, we got out fast enough," Annie answered. "Emotionally, I don't think so."

Annie wrapped her arms around Tristan, feeling the need to be as close as possible to her mate. Her eyes started to cloud up and she knew that she was going to start crying any second now.

Tristan realized this and wrapped his arms around her, easily picking her up off the ground. He sat Annie down on the bed and kneeled down in front of her.

"My father told me that two wolves from the Callisto Pack would be joining us because their pack was attacked by rogues," Tristan whispered. "He hadn't elaborated, probably because we would've gone over it once I was settled back in. Please, tell me what exactly happened?"

Annie felt tears forming in her eyes, but tried to hold herself together so she could speak. "A pack of rogues attacked us out of nowhere. I was the first to spot one of them; I called – I called for my parents and brother, and then ran inside. My mother told me to get my younger brother and run. I-I didn't want to leave, I wanted to help, but I had to keep my brother safe."

Tristan pulled her close to him as she let out a long breath. She rested her head on his shoulder, smelling his woodsy scent and feeling his warm body. He let her release all of her tension by crying. Tristan comforted Annie with soothing words.

"We'll find those rogues," Tristan growled. "I'll hunt them down myself if I have to."

Annie shook her head. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"I can take care of myself," he snarled cockily. "You don't have to worry about me. I am an Alpha after all."

Annie pulled away from his chest and stood up. One minute ago Tristan was acting sweet, but now something darker and more dominant has taken over him. Annie's older brother was like this sometimes.

"Alpha or not, you're still my mate, Tristan," Annie told him with a boost of confidence, but loving the way his name came smoothly out of my mouth, "and I don't want you in any danger."

This ignited a spark in him. He stood up to his full height, towering over Annie. He was an Alpha, and whether or not he was Annie's mate, he was still the dominant one, the one who overpowered her.

"I am your superior and you will respect me," Tristan roared. "Mate or not."

His body was shaking and his eyes were pitch black. Tristan was about to walk out when he glanced back at Annie who sat there stunned and shaken up. Then he exited the bedroom, slamming the door shut behind him.

 Then he exited the bedroom, slamming the door shut behind him