c h a p t e r | s e v e n

| d e a n |

A knock on the motel door wakes Sam up. I can hear him move around to answer it. I pretend to be asleep, like I have all night. The past few nights I haven't been able to sleep. For Sam's sake, though, I have been pretending.

I hear Cas walking in asking about me. "From what I see, I don't think he's doing too well." Sam says. I groan inwardly. Of course I'm not doing all that great, but you don't need to go blabbing your suspicions, Sammy.

"I've found out more about her. Dean's daughter." Cas says. My eyes snap open and I stop complaining about Sam's lack of filter. "She lives in Minnesota."

Minnesota, I think, trying to figure out any women I've met in that state. Then it comes to me.

"Do you know her name?" Sam asks.

Molly Gardener.

Cas' words confirm what I've only now realized. "Ava," he says. "Ava Gardener."

-----

| a v a |

Yet another week of school passes and I'm disappointed that Ariana wasn't here today. Sometimes her high school sport career of swimming and running brings me down. Only a few hours into school she left Mr. Harrison's math lesson for the swim meet a few towns south.

I go with the flow of students headed for the front doors. You'd think that teenagers would want nothing but to get out of the school, yet they all seem to walk so damn slow! When I reach freedom I'm quick to get to my car and get inside. Turning the keys in the ignition I go to Henry's daycare facility to pick him up and take the two of us home.

Like a delayed scene from Groundhog Day, I come to a stop in the driveway to see a man in a trench coat standing in front of my door, looking around in the windows. "I'll be just a minute, Henry." I say. I climb out and go up to the man cautiously. "Can I be of any assistance?"

He turns, his face angel-like. "Is this the home of Ava Gardener?" He asks in a monotone.

I tilt my head in confusion, expecting another Ava Winchester to fall from his mouth by route of his words. "That's me," I say. This man must not have interest in hurting me. He doesn't look dangerous at all, but those are the ones you should always watch for. "What can I do for you?"

"Your father, Dean–" That's all the man gets out before I run for my car, turning the keys and speeding away. I look in the rear view mirror to see the man has disappeared. When I look away the sound of wings fills the car and someone pops up next to me. I scream and swerve slightly.

Slamming on the brakes, I turn to the man, frightened at how he got into my car. "Who are you?" I yell.

"My name is Castiel. I am a friend of you father's." He says. "You know about him, am I wrong?"

"How– how can I trust you?"

"That is up to you," he says, looking in the backseat at Henry, who doesn't seem fazed by the magic man, Castiel.

"What do you want?"

"Dean would like to meet you, but he told me he wants you to promise not to stay around him." Castiel explains.

"He doesn't want me?" I ask sadly.

"You do not understand. He is requesting you stay in your normal life instead of–"

"What normal life?" I interrupt. "I've had enough people come looking for me to last a lifetime!" Castiel looks confused at this. "First there was a man with black eyes, then this guy named Dick was being all shady, then this one guy named Crowley came yesterday, now you." The more I speak, the more pale Castiel's face appears. "What?"