Chapter 6: Football

Edited

Coach looked at Derek. Derek just shrugged and turned around showing the back of his jersey. Coach looked at the name and numbered. Then coach looked through his notes and back at Derek who had taken his jersey off and put on his shoulder pads on. He put on. He turned to look at coach with raised eyebrows. Coach looked speechless for once in his life.

"You're Derek Hale star quarterback of the New York Roughriders and our long-time rivals?!?" Coach had a big smile on his face as it clicked that he has his rival's star quarterback

"Yup that would be me, but I don't want the star treatment my family and I came here for a fresh start. I just want to be treated like everyone else. So can we go tryout now?" Derek finished speaking and looked at me I gave him a friendly smile and he nodded as we both walked out of the locker room with all eyes on us. I looked back and coach's jaw was hanging open. He recollected himself and yelled at the other players to get their asses on the field.

Once we got out side, I went to sit with Cora and Scott. "Hey how'd it go? Did they find out he's a star back in New York?" Cora asked with a smile. "They did it was awesome to see coach speechless" I smiled right back at her. The tryouts were half way done when Mr. Hale showed up. He gave a hug to Cora and say down next to her.

"Hey guys how was school? And what number is my boy?" He asked all of us. I was the one to answer, "School was great thanks. He is number 32 the one of the ones with a white jersey instead of red" I told Mr. Hale he smiles at me "he's got the same number" he said with a great big smile as we watch Derek make a bad throw. I know that Mr. Hale saw the look on Derek's face as we all could hear Jackson and the others laughing at him. That's when Mr. Hale took me with him to go and give Derek reassurance that he is doing great. Once we got on the field coach was yelling at one of the other players as he saw us walk onto the field.

"Stilinski get off the field! And you too" he yelled at us but we continued to walk towards Derek. I could see his face I saw disappointment written all over it.

"Derek buddy you're doing great!" Mr. Hale said to his son. "No Dad I'm not!" Derek said as he took off his helmet. His hair was dripping with sweat as he shook his head. "What are you talking about it was one mistake kid you are doing great!" He tried to reassure him again.

"Dad I haven't made one good throw today I'm doing terrible! And they just keep laughing at me so yeah I'm doing terrible!" He said in almost of a yell.

"Okay son drop your helmet and go get a ball," he told Derek and he did just that. I picked up his helmet as he returned with a ball in hand. "Alright hold the ball like you did just then" Mr. Hale said to Derek with a smile. Derek then showed his dad how he was holding the ball. Mr. Hale then told him what he was doing wrong. Then we retreated to the sidelines where we were met with the presence of coach. We watched as they ran the drill again and this time Derek through the ball flawlessly. I looked to see Mr. Hale beaming with pride as he watched his son throw the ball, as he knew he could.

"How did you get him to throw the ball like that? That's the first perfect throw of the tryouts." Coach said as he looked over to Mr. Hale. Mr. Hale gave him a glare the proceeded to say, "I know my son. He just needed some reassurance that he was doing great. And it doesn't help that your other players are laughing at him when he makes a mistake." Mr. Hale said calmly. Just then, Derek came running up to us with a big grin on his face.

"Hey Dad! Did you see that?!?" Derek said with a proud smile on his face. "I did son it was great your grandpa Hale would of be proud!" Mr. Hale said while patting his sons shoulder. Then coach said "was his grandfather Jerry Hale national football hero?" That's when Derek took of his helmet with a smile looking at his new coach "yeah he is! Hey Dad can grandpa come to my first game?" Derek asked his father with a hopeful look. Coach was lost for words when Nathaniel said, "surely he would be honored. Why don't you take my phone and go call him and ask." Mr. Hale said while he handed his phone to his son. "Thanks dad!" He said as he walked away just a bit so that he could call his grandpa.

Mr. Hale then turned back to the coach and said "look I'm sure that you're a great coach but if you don't help them when they mess up than they won't learn to fix their problems. Don't just yell at them, talk to them get to know your players" Mr. Hale said as Derek walked back with the biggest smile I have ever seen. "Dad!!" Derek yelled to his father as he got back. "Yeah buddy?" He said as he saw the smile on his face "grandpa is going to the game!" Derek yells with a huge smile. "Hey Stiles come tell Cora with me" Derek told "yeah okay!" We ran to tell Cora who had a really confused look on her face. When she saw Derek's happy face. "Hey Der what's got you all happy?" she questions her twin brother. "Grandpa Hale is coming to my first game on Friday!" He said with an excited smile. The look on Cora's face tells it all she is ready to jump out of her skin she is so excited.

"Hale!!" Coach yells for Derek, "well gotta go see you guys after right?" He asks cautiously like his new friends would leave. "Yeah of course I will walk back with you to the field" I say he just nods and we walk back to the field. Coach has all the players on one knee and looking at him.

"Alright! Here I'm going to name team captain than the rest of the positions and their players!" He yells

"Team captain is..."