Chapter Two

---------------

Dedication: GorgeousNightmare123 for the cover! And thank you for being one of my most loyal followers! All your comments and voting is really appreciated. Thank you!

---------------

This school looks like something straight out of a Hollywood movie.

I stare at it with distaste, not liking it already. I glance down at my attire with distaste. The school uniform is conservative, hideous, heavy and over-the-top.

According to the form, I must wear stockings, leather shoes, a skirt that had to be longer than my fingertips when my arms are pressed to my side (that is actually written on the form), a long-sleeved top, a tie and a jacket which is more like a coat. I feel ridiculous. This is the most clothing I've worn in my entire life, considering I'm in swimmers most of the time.

Byron is a nice place. It's a popular coastal town filled with beaches and takeaway shops. The further you drive in, the nicer it gets. Going into town, you see the new hospital, the elite school, the law firm, the mansions on the waterfront and so on.

The best of the best is here and they make sure you know it.

The new house is huge and it's beautiful–but it isn't home. I liked our cosy house that was too-cluttered and had sand littering the floor. This new house was too well kept and clean for my liking. It was so big, which is unnecessary, considering I'm the only one who will be living in it, mostly.

With a sigh, I skulk towards the gates, my shoulders feeling heavy. I can't believe I'm here.

The school smelt nice. Nice. When has a school ever smelt nice?

I stare skeptically at the lines of clean lockers. They literally shine under the lights. I wouldn't be surprised if it is someone's job to go clean them with a toothbrush. I'm almost afraid of walking on the floors as they look like they've never been used. With high, arch-way ceilings, it feels like I'm in a museum, not a school.

Clumps of students milling in the corridors has me feeling a little self-conscious. I've never had to be the new girl before. I have taken about five steps inside the hallway when heads and eyes swivel my way.

Am I that obvious?

Their lips begin moving furiously as I walk by. I'm going to be the talk of the school, no doubt. With my dark skin, my black hair and my dark brown eyes, I usually do tend to draw the eye, but I didn't expect to this much.

Finally making it to the office, I slip inside, feeling like I'm able to breathe again. The office looks more advanced than our electronics room back at my old school.

A lady with auburn hair twisted into an elegant low bun and spectacles perched on her nose, glances up at me. Her lips are pursed and from the wrinkles gathered around the corners of her mouth, I'd say that it was a permanent look for her.

"Yes?" she questions, looking down her nose at me.

I fight off the eye-roll threatening and plaster a semi-polite smile onto my face, telling myself to behave and try to get through this day without a letter home to my mother.

"I'm Grace. It's my first day."

Not even a crack of a smile. Her smile is hostile and the way her eyes are scrutinising me is making me feel incredibly small.

"Here's your schedule," she says curtly, not looking at me as she flicks the paper towards me. "I have someone coming now to escort you. Here's your information package."