Chapter 5

The Charade

"But, how did these get on my computer?" I looked all over my screen for a reason on why this page was opened.

"I saw their names and I clicked them."

I stood and thought for a minute. All four of us had death certificates. And all of them were due to a car accident.

All on April 29th, 1994.

I tried printing my mom and dad's certificates and then tried reprinting mine and Harry's.

The printer started up again and out came all four papers, instantly.

I grabbed them off the tray and looked at them carefully. Studying the words and the pictures of my family.

"We should delete the history on your computer." Harry suggested.

Without saying anything, I cleared all my history.

"Wait a second. . ." Harry took the certificates out of my hands and looked at mine. "Did you know your last name was Peterson?"

"I do now." I answered.

"Try searching your last name. Maybe information about your family will come up."

I did that.

I typed in "Peterson" and a bunch of results popped up.

Harry and I read all the websites. We found nothing.

Harry slammed the computer shut, while I was still reading.

"Harry!" I yelled. Then I looked up to find my mom standing across the counter.

"How are my beautiful children?" She smiled.

Harry and I exchanged looks.

"Good." We both said at the same time.

"What do you guys say we all go out for dinner later? All of us."

Harry nodded but I stared at her. She keeps getting more and more suspicious. But then again, my dad did take the papers off the printer. So he's not innocent either.

"Skylar?" She asked.

"Sounds fun." I lied. I feel like I don't even know who my mom is right now. But Harry doesn't seem to mind at all.

Before Harry exited the kitchen, I nudged his shoulder, trying to warn him to watch out.

He ignored me and continued walking. I was left with my mom, or whoever she was.

"How are you doing, Sky?" She rubbed my back and I jumped.

"Good, why do you ask?" I held my laptop close to my chest. The papers stuffed in my shirt.

If she were to see them, I'd be dead.

"You seem jumpy lately." She actually seemed really concerned.

I nervously laughed, "I'm totally okay." I tried to nonchalantly walk fast out of the kitchen.

I raced up the stairs and bolted into my room, not even acknowledging my dad and Harry standing right there.

My door slammed shut behind me. I put my computer back into its right place and ran over to my bed.

I threw my pillows to the floor and pulled my covers back to the end of my bed.

I took the papers out from under my shirt and carefully placed them on the spot where my pillow usually goes. Then, I placed my pillow on top of the papers.

There was a knock on my door. I jumped on my bed and pretended like I didn't just hide four death certificates under my pillow.

In came Harry.

He shut the door behind him. "Look Sky, you gotta stop acting like this."

"Like what?"

"Like you're hiding something."

I sarcastically laughed, "Well, i kind of am hiding something!" I yelled, forgetting that my dad might still be in the hallway.

"I know this is scary, but please pretend like it's not a big deal-..."

I shook my head, "if you don't want to help me find out what's going on then don't." I stood up and walked over to my closet and looked through my clothes for something to wear tonight to dinner. "I don't need you to keep telling me to stop."

He followed me. "I'm not telling you to stop, I'm telling you to take it easy."

"I don't want to keep easy, okay? So either leave me alone or join me. There's no more in between."

There was a long pause. Neither of us said a word.

"Fine. I'm in."

I looked at him and smiled, "seriously?"

He nodded.

I threw my arms around him and have him a huge hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you." I rustled through his curly hair and kissed his cheek. "I love you."