That Damn Door Steve x Reader

Steve's POV:

Going to war with Tony was one thing, going to war against the government was another.

Y/N POV:

I hold my breath and open the door.

There was Steve sitting on the edge of our shared bed.

I let out a sigh.

"Steve..."

"I really don't want to hear it (Y/N)," he starts to get up and walk out.

I walk in front of the door to block his way.

He doesn't look at me, but I try my best to get him to look at me anyway.

"Steve," I beg for something, some kind of attention, reaction. Truth was, since the passing of Peggy, Steve hasn't been the same. At least the same to me. He was quieter. He didn't spend much time with me anymore. He was colder, making sure to show the least amount of affection as possible. He was never home, and when he was... he really wasn't. He would do anything to avoid me. He wouldn't even touch me anymore when we slept. It was as though there was a wall in between us. He never kissed me anymore, sometimes when I'm lucky...a kiss on the forehead.

And now he is going to war with Tony and the government.

"Please don't go," I whisper. I hug him close to me and wait for him to relax in my arms like he used to.

He doesn't.

I sigh. I have had enough. I let him go. He quickly moves out of the room to get his bag.

I follow him and he feels my presence.

"This is for Bucky, this is for you too. What if you're in trouble and the government won't let me protect you? If I don't do this I let myself be a puppet for the government," he explains. I nod, I heard it all before.

"Like Bucky was for Hydra," I finish.

He doesn't respond and finishes packing.

"I'm a fugitive now, be careful, there's a safety kit under our bed with a way to escape, passports, anything you need. I swear I'll look for you when this is over. Don't look for me in case it isn't over. If they get to you before you can escape or leave this house, there's a hideaway behind our dresser. There's also a kit in your car too. Don't trust anyone, but Bucky, Scott, Clint, Wanda, and Sam."

My heart aches as I realize I couldn't trust Natasha or Tony anymore.

I stand in front of the door to our apartment and wait for my goodbye kiss.

Or maybe just a goodbye.

I hear him sigh,

"Y/N, you know I love you right?"

I nod, scared that if I start talking, I'll beg him to stay back.

I look down to avoid his stare, but I hear his footsteps getting closer to me. His arms wrap around my waist and he holds me close. This is the closest we've been in a while. I breathe him in and place my hands on both sides of his shoulders.

"Please..."

"Y/N, I swear I'll come ba-"

The door next to us bursts open and Steve blocks the dust and rubble from hitting me with his body.

He lets me go and activates the magnets on his arm to grab his shield.

"Freeze Captain!"

He looks at me briefly, and I understand. I run to our bedroom as quickly as possible. I push open the door to our room. I slide under the bed and grab the kit before running towards the dresser, pushing it slightly. The side of the dresser opens up to a hidden pathway.

I wait a few moments in hopes of the chaos downstairs to end. I hear the slam of metal from Steve's shield and bones crushing. My heart gets caught in my throat when I hear footsteps running upstairs. I step quickly into the opening of the dresser and close it hearing the hinges mechanically close the opening. Darkness swallowing me.

Then I hear it, a loud thud.

And Steve yelling,

"Please! Take me instead!"

"Steve?" I whisper. I hear more loud thuds and I hear Steve groaning. I go back to the door and try to open it.

Screw getting caught, Steve might be hurt

But the door never opens.

Not when my hands were sore and I lost sight of the kit in the darkness.

Not when my eyes were puffy from the dust and my crying.

And definitely,

not when there is no more sounds of fighting outside of that damn door.