Grateful 1/2 Bucky x Reader

Bucky's POV

We met in a prison in Hydra.

We were both bound in chains as they experimented on us.

She used to be able to get free with those small, soft hands of hers.
She would secretly sneak out and get food, not just for her... But for me too.

I will be forever grateful.

When Steve saved us from that hellhole, damn was he huge. But I'm not complaining. I told him that I wasn't leaving without her. He knew by the look in my eye that I loved her. He didn't say anything.

I will be forever grateful.

-----------

She and Peggy become close friends, helping The Howling Commandos and I with all our missions. I taught her how to fight and how to use a sniper. She hated the sound of the bullet leaving the gun, but I helped her get over it. I remember that day, she was positioned in front of the sniper on the ground and on her stomach. I lay down next to her and moving her hands and her head gently to show her how to get the best shot. We lied down like that for ages. She insisted on not leaving until she got that shot. And she did, she hit the target dead on. As a thank you, she turned her head and kissed me softly. She told me she was grateful for my help. I shook my head no. I told her,

"I will be forever grateful to have you."

She laughed,

"Who said you'll have me?"

I smiled and shrugged,

"Will you be mine?"

"I would be very grateful to be yours, James Buchanan Barnes."

------------

She was shot in the shoulder. A few more inches down, it would have hit her heart.

Steve and I were raiding a new Hydra base. Peggy and Y/N decided to join us for this one.

And now she was lying on the ground with a bullet close to her collarbone, slowly bleeding out.

I was screaming for help. She had taken a bullet for me. She was dying in my arms.

"Stay with me, stay with me, stay with me," I begged.

She smiled softly and mouthed 'I love you'.

I cried the words back to her and wished help came quickly.

I was so grateful for the help, I couldn't breathe enough 'thank you's'.

-------------------------------

I'm holding her tight now and begging for her forgiveness, even though she forgave me.

"James, I wanted to do it," she whispers.

I shake my head no.

And I kiss her.

And kiss her.

And kiss her.

She breathes gently through her nose and pulls me closer. My body is against her and I break away to hug her tightly.

"Please don't do that again," I beg as I feel sobs about to break through my body.

She pulls away from me despite my protests and make me look at her.

"You would have done it too, James."

"I love you."

"I love you too, Bucky."

I smile wide, loving the sound of my nickname spoken by her. I pull her back on place her on my lap. She wraps her arms around my neck and her legs around my torso. We sit there breathing each other in.

I'm grateful time stood still for those few moments before...

---------------

"What the hell were you thinking Y/N?" I yell at her. She did it again, she tried to take a bullet for me. This time, luckily, Steve threw the shield straight on and deflected the bullet.

"It was nothing Bucky, I'm still alive aren't I?" She asks, she picks at her food a sign that says to leave her alone.
But I can't leave her alone, not with this issue.

"What the fuck Y/N?" I say harshly.

"Bucky, I'll do whatever the hell I please, and if it means saving you, so be it."

"You could have died!"

"So could have you Bucky!" She pushes her food away and turns around in her chair sharply to glare at me.

I yell in frustration.

"You're such an idiot! Why would you do something like that?"

"Because I love you, you idiot! I'd rather you stay alive!" She is breathing hard right now, we both are.

I stare at her for a few moments and realize she's close to crying.

Shit

I scramble to her side and hug her closely. She sobs in my arms and continues saying sorry and sorry.

"I could have been fine, Y/N."

My heart aches as her body still shakes and her tears soak through my shirt.

"I just don't want to live in a world where someone could have happened to you, Bucky."

My heart stops, no one has ever showed me this much love. No one has ever loved me this much.

It was overwhelming. No, it was exhilarating. I hug her even tighter and lean down to kiss her.

"I love you, Y/N. God, I am so grateful to have you, please don't do that again."

---------------

"Promise me you'll be safe?" she asks.

"Yeah, yeah doll," I say again, pretending to be annoyed. She gives me a sad smile and I pull her into my arms to give her a kiss on the forehead.

"I'll be okay," I said.

....

And then, I wasn't

"BUCKY!" Steve yells, trying to grab my hand. But the railing of the moving train breaks and I fall. I let out a scream as I feel myself plummeting down to the snow. Down to frozen hell.

But, I stop screaming seconds before my body makes impact with the ground. I think of her, her smile, her eyes... Her love.

I smile and think, "Damn am I grat-".

-------------

Y/N's POV

I place a rose on top of the tombstone and hug Steve, rubbing his back.

"We were really grateful to have someone like him," I whisper softly as tears begin to form in my eyes again.

Steve whimpers a little and I know what he's thinking.

Yeah, we are forever grateful to have met someone like James Buchanan Barnes.