Chapter 43: Noldorin Squirrels

Start from the beginning

There was silence then, long moments in which those that knew the arrogant, sarcastic Noldorin warrior really thought on the words the Silvan had said. It was Mithrandir, however, who sat forward now, one hand smoothing down his wayward beard.

"And how do you know this?" he asked pointedly.

Legolas stared back at the old man. "Because I see it - as clearly as I see you sitting before me."

The wizard held his gaze for far longer than Legolas could, who had already turned away to Glorfindel.

"What did he say?" he asked.

Glorfindel smiled. "Exactly what you have just said, Legolas - exactly that," he said, and then smiled wider. "You are a good judge of character."

"Thank you," he smiled, obviously chuffed at the praise. "But did you accept?"

"Tell me you did not," whined Elladan, although from his face one would say he already suspected the contrary.

"I did, with strict conditions. Legolas will have his say of course."

"And The Company," said Legolas. "If he cannot work with them in the two weeks it takes us to journey back, then he will return with Glorfindel, in spite of my own wishes. Does that appease you, Elladan?"

"Enough, but he will cause us more work than we will already have. I cannot trust him in battle and I hope he does not prove to be a distraction when least we need one."

"I understand that," said Legolas. "But if he does prove himself, think of what we will gain, Elladan."

"There are many passing warriors out there, Legolas. I see nothing special in him."

"You are wrong," said Legolas with a resolve that spoke of absolute certainty. Think of all those years of bitterness, Elladan. He could have given up so many times, in search of his own happiness, taken on a different profession but he continued, again and again. He wants this as much as anyone I have ever seen. All he needs is someone to guide him, to understand him. In return we will gain an extraordinary and loyal warrior."

Elladan nodded his understanding. "Alright, but you will forgive my skepticism for the moment, Legolas. I am sure I will not be alone in this."

"Oh you will not," said Legolas. The Company will be furious with me, I have no doubt, especially Lindohtar..."

"Well," said Elrond as he sat back in his chair, wine in hand. "His father was an excellent warrior, you know. Hador of Lindon is still remembered for his sacrifice at Dagorlad.

Legolas' brow rose in curiosity, and Elladan merely shrugged. "He must resemble his mother then..." was all he muttered into his own goblet of wine.

TSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSTSSTSTSSSSTSTSTSTSTSTST