Chapter 29: Remain Calm

He stared at me, his eyes wide and his mouth trembling, "Heh.. Heh.. You're joking.. Right? I mean.. She's a demon and all but.. She can't c-curse me."

This had been then first time I had ever heard such worry in his voice. He had always had times where he was exceedingly worried about me or something else, but his voice was actually cracking and was fading.

I bit my lip and looked down at the ground, "Chara found a way to control where our future ends up. She made it so that I will be the winner of the competition no matter what.. That's great but.. The night I win at 6 in the evening.. You are going to die. And... And.. I can't do anything about it."

I was trying so hard not to cry. I was almost getting a head ache because I was trying so hard.

Sans stared at me, his hands were shaking on his knees. He slowly began to speak, but it cracked again and he shut up. We sat in silence for a moment, making things even worse.

"S-Sans?" I tried to look at him, but my sight was blurred with tears. That's when I practically exploded with cries. Tears kept coming and coming as I sat there, looking away from him in embarrassment. I felt his hand on my shoulder, but I jerked it away, "Please.. Don't look at me like this.. I'm.. A mess."

"Yeah? And you were like that prom night too. That didn't stop me, now did it?"

I wiped my tears, and looked at him, confused almost, "Aren't you upset with me? You're gonna die and-"

"And what? That is something that Chara did. Not you. There isn't any reason for you to cry."

"Yes there is!" I yelled slightly in between sniffs, "I can't do anything about what will happen to you. A-And you're gonna die.. So shouldn't I be sad?"

He sighed, "If I die.. Then I die. I mean, I was scared for a second but then I realized that.. Everyone dies eventually. Yeah, I'm dying sooner than most people but.. I lived a happy life. So if die seeing you win this competition.. I'll know that you lived out your dream like I had always wanted you to."

I stared at him, unsure what to say. He just told me that he was okay with dying. Oh god.. I wasn't the one dying and I was more terrified than him.

"Sans.. Y-You are okay with leaving me here all alone? I thought you l-loved me.."

He scooted right next to me, pulling me into his lap and stroked my cheek, "I'll always love you. No matter what happens that will never change. But I know that you will live a long life with someone who will give you as much care I have with you. Maybe even better. But even if you decide to be with another guy, it will never bother me. I know that you care about me, and.. I know this is going to be hard.. But.. Sometimes letting go of the things we love is better for you. Now," he brushed a tear out of my face with his thumb and smiled, "I want to enjoy my time with you while we still can. I will always love you."

I sniffed, smiling slightly, but still sorta crying.

He pushed a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled sadly, "I hate to see your heart break.. I hate to see your eyes get dark before they close, but I have been there before."

My smile grew, giggling as he sang to me quietly. I leaned in and kissed his forehead, "I love you ya goof."

"I love you too, Iris."