Chapter 11: Night of the Living Dance

Your P.O.V.
It has been a week. A week since me and Sans finally started practicing together again. Tonight was the night. I had to prove to be a great dancer.

Sans had been acting strange the entire week, but I guess I was too. I was still sorta hurt, but after awhile I started to talk to him more without the feeling of wanting to cry.

I guess it was a good thing I started talking to him again. It was the night of the dance competition. I couldn't risk anything just because I was upset.

I walked with Sans over to the left side of the stage. There were so many people, I could hardly estimate how many could actually be there. I looked to Sans who seemed very stiff and almost sad. I chose to ignore it as I began to walk over to the sign in sheet. That is, until I was suddenly pushed onto the floor.

"Ow!!" I shrieked as I hit the wood floor. I look up to see the one only Chara. She smirked down at me, with a girl standing next to her in the same outfit.

"Bonjour, Mademoiselle Iris."

Even speaking in French couldn't hide her bitchiness. Not surprising.

"Hello, Chara," I spat as I stood up, brushing myself off, "What are you doing here?"

"Isn't it obvious? I'm competing for first place."

Wait.. she was in this competition too?! Since when?!

I pretending to not care and I rolled my eyes, "Have fun with that.." I began to walk away as I muttered, "Bitch.."

I could see Sans, sitting down with his head between his knees. He looked stressed. I wondered why. Then, I could hear someone on stage talking in the microphone, "Welcome ladies and gentlemen, to our annual dance competition. Please avoid any talking and flash photography during the show."

We were going to be contestants number six. We had about fifteen minutes before the show was going to start.

"Our first dancers of the night will be Chara and Helena."

Chara was first. Fan fucking tastic. Hopefully her dancing was as bad as her attitude.

I looked out onto the stage, watching as the music began to play. It was a faster paced song, so it was a little more difficult than the one I chose. Chara and Helena danced in a very synchronized way. I hated to say it, but Chara was good.

I growled as I turned around looking for Sans. He was nowhere to be seen backstage.

"Sans? Where the hell did he go?"

I walked out the exit door to the alleyway, looking around. Sans was walking out of the alley. I ran up to him, "Sans!"

I grabbed his jacket sleeve, stopping him. He didn't look at me. His eyes were empty as usual, but the whites of his eyes were gone. What was wrong with him?

"Sans? Where are you going?"

He stood there, looking down, until finally he turned his head to face me. He had tear stains along his cheek bones, "I'm leaving."

"Leaving?! You can't leave! Our performance is on in less than fifteen minutes!" I shook him slightly, trying to get some sense into him, but he didn't budge. He looked soulless and broken.

I gritted my teeth and growled, "Are you really going to just give up like this?"

"I'm not giving up because I want to. Chara told me to back out, so she could win."

"S-So you're just going to do whatever she says?! I know you're scared that she'll hurt your brother, but come on! Man up! Are you going to be scarred of a girl who says whatever comes into her stupid head?"

Sans sighed and finally grabbed my hand and pulled it away from him, "I'm not scared of a girl. I'm scared for a girl."

I wasn't sure if what he had just said made me more or less angry. What did that even mean?

"You're scared for Chara?"

"No, Iris. I am scared for a girl that I'm in love with. Chara didn't threaten to kill Papyrus. She threatened to kill that girl that I love.. And.. I couldn't handle that."

He.. He loved someone.. A girl.. Who?

"I'm not scared of Chara, but I know she isn't powerless. She's stronger than You think, Iris. There's a reason she let herself lose to you. She wanted to look weak. She wanted to make you think that I could easily destroy her, but I can't. I don't want to make you lose, but.. I have to."

I guess you could say, I was having a lot of mixed emotions. He loved some girl that I probably didn't know and then he was going to bail on me. My dreams were being crushed, and.. I couldn't take that. Not when I was just getting started.

"Well, if you want to bail. Fine. I don't care. You can go do what you want. I'm going to go and dance, whether Chara wants me to or not. Enjoy yourself, Sans," I turned and walked back into the theater, not turning to look at him. I wasn't sure what I felt about him. I was mad, but.. I felt something else, not really sure what it was. Whatever it was, it was telling me to turn back, but I wasn't turning back. I had practiced my whole life. I was not going to stop now. Even if it meant leaving Sans behind.