Chapter 7

"You're right, Justice I'm sorry. For pushing you away when all you did was care about me. I'm sorry for not telling you what was wrong. I'm sorry for taking your friendship for granted. I-I'm sorry for letting you get hurt. I'm sorry for leaving you alone." I felt his his eyelash brush against my hand and heat of his tears.

I turn to him and wrap my arms around his limp body, pulling him to my chest. I gently wipe the tears from his face as he cries. He feels guilty, I don't want him to. I just want him to understand that he shouldn't push away what's good for him.

"You don't have to feel bad Kyle. Everyone has hard times in their lives. People cope with them differently. But I want you to know that I've got your back 100%. Even when it's hard, it's okay to tell me. You know I won't judge you. I love you. I'd do anything to make sure your okay." I reassure him, softly rubbing circles on his back to comfort him.

"You remember that night at the hotel, when we bumped into each other?" He says in a whisper.

"Mhm."

"Well, I'd just gotten a call that my," He pauses as a tear runs down his red cheek. "My dad had been shot at a protest." He breaks into a small sob. I must be the only person he's told. I remember him telling me that his dad was the chief of police in Manhattan. He seemed like a really nice guy, from the way that Kyle talked about him. I really would've liked to meet him.

"Oh Kyle no." I whisper.

"He was killed by a 16 year old  kid. A freaking kid. The boy got two years at juvenile justice and life in prison with the chance of parole." He snuffles a little and I hand him a tissue from the small table beside me.

"You know not every black person is like that." He remains silent. "Right?" I question.

"In a crooked world like this, you can't be sure." He responds his voice low.

"Do you think... I'm like that?" I ask waiting for the pain to come.

"No, of course not Justice, you're totally different. I see that now." He says grabbing my hand again. I feel something stir in my stomach but ignore it.

"Well I'll do everything I can to help you. I'll show you the truth about black people." I tell him determined to change his state of mind.

"Yeah, whatever." He mumbles.

"You okay now?" I ask.

"Yea-, Ow!" He shrieks as I pinch his butt.

"Then get outta my bed boy." I laugh.
-------------------------------------------------
After a few minutes of talking and laughing, Kyle left. Then everyone came back from eating to sit with me for a few more hours before leaving too. Of course my mom was the last to leave but I finally got her to go.

I sit in my hospital bed laughing at Fresh Prince of Bel air when I get a call to FaceTime with Andy. I sort of was wondering why he rushed me off of the phone earlier. It had me a little scared but I know that Andy has the heart of a G.

"Hey J- what happened?!" He yelled looking me in my hospital gown.

"It was crazy, I almost got abducted." I smile.

"I don't call you one night and this happens?" He points into the camera incredulously as I laugh.

"I know, it's all your fault." I giggle.

"Anyway, what happened, cause I'm really 'bout to kill a nigga tonight." He says. I double over in laughter.

"I was going to a meeting and this guy came and tried to take me. He'd threatened me and my friend before."