"You okay?" a deep voice asked as I was pulled back up properly. I wrenched my wrist away and saw Daxton. He was about half a foot taller than I was and I had to look up slightly to meet his eyes. He stared back at me with obvious amusement. My annoyance was clear by my attitude.

"Fine. While you're here why don't you give me my phone back?" I asked. He looked me over once and was clearly deciding on what to say. Some people assumed that my lack of social activity meant I had nothing interesting that made me happy. My arms crossed over my chest and my foot tapped against the ground impatiently.

"How do you know it's yours?" he asked with curiosity. He was trying to hold back a smirk as my foot continued to tap out an annoyed rhythm.

"The last song played was Strangers Like Me from Tarzan. There are three contacts saved. Iliana, home and doctor." My tone was snippy and with his smirk my tapping stopped. His posture screamed triumphant as he looked down at me.

"I don't have it on me right now. Why don't you meet me at the place it was left after school if it really is yours?" he said smugly. He obviously didn't think it was mine. I ran a hand through my long dark hair and sighed. This was something I really didn't want to do. I didn't want to forge new friendships or even acquaintances.

"I'll meet you at seven." The decision was final and I really needed my phone back. If this was the only way to get it back then I would have to do it. His smirk grew as he thought it over. He most likely thought I was bluffing, lying in order to get a phone to exchange for money. People had learned to see the worst in people based on their appearances. I was judged constantly because I didn't have the newest or most expensive clothing. I looked up to him with my barely contained anger and waited for his decision.

He nodded and frowned before quickly lumbering away. Once he had left I scanned the large library for Iliana, who was nowhere to be seen. I finally spotted my spunky best friend with her long legs crossed under her on top of a wooden table with a textbook settled in her lap.

"Having fun?" I asked her. She rolled her eyes at me and shook her head. Her right hand ran through her dark ombre hair as she glared at me. Her dark eyes searched my face for signs of an impending problem that she would interfere in. When she found no signs of a problem she relaxed and looked back down at her book.

"None at all," she answered without lifting her eyes. I pulled myself up onto the table beside her and swung my legs absentmindedly. Free periods were boring and pointless. I studied and did all my work at home, yet I was still required to show up for free period and do nothing.

"I might go to the park instead of classes." I was looking out one of the large glass windows to the green grass and bright sun. It looked so happy and peaceful outside. It was tempting to ditch the rest of the day and relax, to sit outside in the sun with the soft breeze soothing my mind.

"Want me to come with you?" She looked at me with worry set deep in the frown on her face. With a nudge of my shoulder she smiled slightly and nudged me back.

"Nah," I replied. Ditching class was something I did about once a month. With my high marks and near perfect attendance it was clear teachers didn't care if I skipped. Though it was first period, the warm outdoors was exactly what I needed right now.

"I'll see you tomorrow." She gave me a wave as I hopped down from the table and began walking towards the door. Once I was at the door I turned around to wave back to her before walking through the typical high school halls.

My feet hit the pavement outside the school lightly as I walked with my thin hands deep in my pockets. The breeze lifted tiny tendrils of hair as I continued to walk with my face slightly uplifted to the sun. It warmed my skin and the nature around me soothed my mind. It took me ten minutes to reach the trees that outlined the multiple fields and ponds around the park. I found my favourite pond, the smallest one, and pulled out the novel I was currently reading.

"Didn't I just see you at school?" Daxton asked not five minutes later. I glanced up from my book and had to shield my eyes from the sun. He stepped in front of me so he was blocking the sun from my eyes.

"No I was a banana for the last twenty days," I said sarcastically. He gave me a funny look and I shrugged. "Ask a stupid question and get a stupid answer."

"Do you want your phone now Ebony?" he asked while ignoring my tone. With a roll of my eyes I leaned back in my seat and crossed my legs under me. I glared up at him while he offered a soft smile.

"Should I feel special that you know my name?" I watched as his smile fell as my icy words bit into the kindness he had been showing.

"Everybody knows your name."

"Of course. I'm known as the loner with the alcoholic mother right?" I glared at him as he shifted nervously. He looked away uncomfortably and I knew I had hit the nail on the head with that one.

"It's not a secret that she's an alcoholic. Can I have my phone now please?"

He tossed me the phone before sitting in the grass at my feet. I ignored him and went back to my book. It was easy enough to ignore him. He didn't bother talking to me and I tended to zone out when reading. I was transported to a different world that was either better or worse than the one I was already in. It was an escape for me.

After an hour he was still sitting silently on the ground. It was slightly weird to see him still waiting for me to finish. His eyes were closed softly and his face was turned to the sun. I thought he was asleep until I poked his shoulder and his green eyes turned to my grey ones.

"Why are you still here?" I asked. After closing my book I leaned forward with my elbows on his knees and my chin in my hands.

"Nothing better to do."

"What about school?"

"I've got an A average. I think I'm good."

I looked at him while trying to figure him out. We had been going to the same school for two years and there were only about four hundred people in total. He would've noticed me before but only now did he decide to say something. It was something I couldn't figure out for the life of me.

"I give up. Why are you paying attention to me now?"

"Because I can?"

"What do you want? I mean really. I've been used one too many times by people and this feels a lot like the same situation." I began putting my book away while walking away from him without another word.

"I'm a year ahead of you in school and this is the first chance I've had to talk to you since we don't have the same classes." He kept pace beside me.

"I'm in your free period and advanced English class." I felt smug and slightly annoyed that he had never noticed me before even though I had classes with him. He shut up then and focused on his feet, his broad shoulders pulled into a slump.

"You know it's not like that," he mumbled. I scoffed and stopped before turning quickly to face him. I checked him over and rolled my eyes. How idiotic did he think I was?

"Looks like it from here."

"I'm not trying to use you or humiliate you. Did you ever think that I just want to be your friend?"

"Trust is earned not given."

He sighed and let me walk away after that. My hands were shoved deep in my pockets and I had my head hung. People stared at me as I passed them. While I walked I thought about what I had said to him. I wondered if I had done the right thing. He would just hurt me in the end like everyone else did. Or worse, I would hurt him.