Mariah went silent. She couldn't fathom doing to her own children some of the things Pat did to her, but she was starting to see where Pat was coming from. She was only trying to make the best out of what they had, which wasn't much.

"I want to try with you, I really do." Mariah said. "But it's going to be hard."

Pat reached across the table. "So be it. I just want my daughter back."

May 4th, 1997

Pat was reading a book when there was a knock at her door. Mariah had gone to the studio after their talk, so it had to be no one else but Michael. She sat her book on the coffee table and went to answer the door.

"Hello, Michael." She greeted.

He stepped inside and went for the couch.

"How did it go with Mariah?" He asked.

Pat smiled. "It went well." She paused for a second, taking note of Michael's perturbed facial expression. "But how are you? You seem upset."

He sighed. "Well, The Jackson Five is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I have to go and I know my family will be there. They said some pretty horrible things to me and Mariah and I'm not ready to be around them again. I haven't even talked to my mother."

She patted his hand. "You know you can always talk to me, Michael. I'm your mother too."

He smiled. "Thanks Pat." Michael looked down for a second in thought. "Hey, maybe you can go with us?"

"Go with you?"

"Yeah. It would be real nice." Michael said.

"Well-" Pat started.

"Please, Pat?" Michael looked at her with his big, bright eyes. She couldn't resist them.

"Alright, dear." She smiled, shaking her head.

Michael smiled from ear-to-ear and pulled Pat in for a hug. She hugged him back, revelling in the moment.

May 8th, 1997

Pat was in awe as they pulled up to the large triangular, glass building. As Bill helped her and Mariah out of the car, she could see the valets running back and forth, parking cars of all of the legends in attendance.

She glanced over at Michael, dressed in a military style jacket with gold detailing and a red armband, with his hair pulled stylishly back into a ponytail. Mariah was standing on the other side of him in an understated black dress with a mesh back and her hair pulled into a loose, curly bun. The only jewelry she wore other than her wedding band, was a gold choker that accented the gold in Michael's jacket.

They look amazing. 

Pat herself was also dressed in black, though hers was sequined with a white boa wrapped around her arms.

Michael linked arms with her and her daughter, taking a deep sigh. "You ladies ready to go in?"

Mariah nodded. "Are you ready?"

He hesitated and Pat squeezed his arm gently. "It's alright dear, we'll be right here."

"Alright." He sighed. "Let's go in."

May 8th, 1997

Bill stepped inside the venue with Michael, Mariah, and Pat following behind like little ducklings. The place was filled to the brim with all types of business people and celebrities. Michael spotted some of his long-time Motown cohorts and friends. There was his good friend Stevie Wonder, whom he said hello to, Bobby Taylor and Tommy Chong from Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers, Levi Stubbs of The Four Tops, Gladys Knight, Suzanne De Passe, Hazel Gordy, and many others.