Part 20

"It's okay Demi. You can always call me. Are you okay now?" I ask her and she slowly nods. I give her a big hug and she mumbles a thank you to me and I leave.

Demi's POV
I feel terrible for calling Wilmer last night. I don't want him to think we are going to get back together. I mean he cheated on me and he doesn't help my state of mind, I can't get back together with him.

I'm walking along the trail of the garden that's attached to the hospital. It's a really beautiful garden. I keep walking along the track, looking at the beautiful colored flowers and trying to find some peace in all of this. That's when I hear quiet sobs coming from the end of the trail. I follow the sobs and look to see a girl, maybe around 13 years old. She has long brown hair that's frizzy but really curly and is wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt. Then I realize that she is saying something to herself.

"Just do it. Once. It will help. Just this time." She mumbles to herself, and that's when I look down at her hands. She's holding a blade in her hand, looking at her completely clear wrist. Panic rushes through me.

"Don't. It's not worth it." I blurt out, and her head whips around to look at me.

"I-I was j-just-" she tried to give an excuse but I cut her off.

"Sweetheart I know what you were doing." I say and a tear falls down her cheek. I walk over to her and hug her, then lead her to a bench near the fountain. "Why?" I ask her.

"I... I couldn't t-take it anymore. A-and the g-girls at school... They told me to do it." She says and I look at her sympathetically. "It was only gonna be once." She says and I shake my head.

"Sweety, it's never just once." I say to her and she looks at me.

"How do you k-know?" She asks and I sigh. I roll up my sleeves and show her my wrists. She looks up at me before touching my left wrist. I point to the first horizontal scar on my wrist.

"See that?" I say to her. "That... that was the first time... I was 11" I tell her and she looks up at me with wide eyes. I continue. "See those?" I ask her, pointing to the rest of the horizontal scars on my wrist. "Those came after the first one. I said it would only be once." I say to her and another tear falls out of her eye. She looks at me with her big brown eyes and she slowly points to the vertical scar. "That?" I say tearing up. "Th-that was almost th-the end." I tell her as a small tear trickles down my cheek.

"You tried to kill yourself?" The girl asked in sort of a hushed tone and I nodded.

"Don't go down the road I went down sweety. I've battled this for thirteen years. You don't want to do that. Don't listen to the people who tell you to do this to yourself, okay? Now please give me the blade." I say to her, silently praying that I can hold the blade in my hand without using it.

"But... But what about you?" She asks me.

"I'm stronger now. I can handle it and not use it. It's okay, just give it to me." I tell her and she nods. She hesitantly places the blade in the palm of my hand and I squeeze my hand around it, not even looking at it.

"Stay strong for me, okay sweetheart?" I tell her and she nods.

"Thank you." She mumbles, giving me a hug. I give her a smile then get up and head back towards to Dallas' room.