Happy Birthday!

Rae's POV

"Okay seriously, don't say anything to him. He'll feel bad and want to get me something," I say to Rose, trying to persuade her not to tell Michael about today.

"It's your birthday, and your first birthday with Michael as your boyfriend, you should really let him do something for you!" She exclaims.

"But I don't want him to buy me anything and you know that's what he'll want to do."

"Then when he asks what you want, or even if he doesn't, tell him the only thing you want from him is to hang out or watch a movie or something."

"Hey," Michaels voice interrupts our conversation. He kisses me quickly, taking the seat to my right. I smiled at him. "Hey." I give Rose the look, the one that says if you do it I'll kill you, but she didn't care and told him anyways.

"Today is Rae's birthday," she tells him. He looks at me for confirmation, a weird look on his face. Probably because I didn't tell him.

"Yeah, it is..." I admit. "But can you promise me something?" I continue. He nods. "I don't want a gift or anything, all I want is for us to hang out and watch a movie or something."

"There's no way I'm not getting you a gift, but we can hang out and watch a movie," Michael states. I sigh, knowing he won't change his mind on this.

"Why does everyone insist on giving me a gift?" I wonder out loud. "Because we want to. And because if we don't then we feel bad," Rose answers my rhetorical question.

Michael and I make plans to hang out tonight, at his house.

A little while after that, we all leave, Rose coming to my house and Michael going to his.

•°•·•°•·•°•·

"I don't have anything to wear," I whine, going through all my clothes for the tenth time.

"Yes you do. Besides, you're staying at his house and watching movies, you aren't going to a five star restaurant," Rose reminds me. She throws a matching bra and pair of underwear at me, telling me to put them on just in case I "get some tonight."

After a long time of debating, I finally pick a pair of black tights, a beige sweater, and my converse. Cute enough to look like I put some sort of effort into my appearance, but comfortable enough for a stay at home and watch movies date.

Rose goes home a little while after we finally pick an outfit, not wanting to ruin my birthday date by being there. Before she left though, she gave her present to me, which consisted of different makeup items, since I told her that's what I wanted if she were to get me anything.

Ding dong, Michael rings the doorbell at precisely 6:30, which kinda scares me because there's no way he got here exactly at 6:30, so he must've waited there until it hit that time.

I run down the stairs and answer the door, seeing Michael standing there with a bouquet of calla lilies, my favorite flowers.

"Awww, you didn't have to bring me these," I say, taking them and putting them in a vase in the kitchen. "I thought you'd like them, so of course I had to," he responds.

I hug him, then push him towards the door. "We do not want to be here when my mom gets home, so let's go now."

•°•·•°•·•°•·

His house is huge, which I expected since he's not exactly poor. He leads me to the living room, where there's a box of pizza and a DVD case on the table.

As I get closer, I see the movie is Mean Girls, my favorite movie. "How'd you know?" I ask him, sitting on the couch.

"You told me once. And I obviously know pizza is your favorite food," he answers, sitting next to me after putting the movie on.

He hands me a piece of pizza and grabs one for himself, and we do exactly what I asked for: hang out and watch a movie.

After I can't eat anymore, I lay on Michael's shoulder, very content with how this night played out. Once the movie ends, Michael tells me not to move and runs upstairs.

He comes down a few seconds later with a long, thin box, even though I asked him not to get me a present. "You didn't have t-" he puts his finger on my lip and says, "Shhh. Just open it."

I open it and inside there's a beautiful silver necklace locket in the shape of a heart. Inside, there's a picture of me and him on one side, and no picture on the other.

"You can put whatever picture you want in that side," he says. "Turn it over." I flip the locket over, and it reads To Rae, the love of my life. Love, Michael

I smiled at him, and hand the necklace to him. "Can you put it on me?" I ask, being as cliché as possible because I'm basic. I lift my hair up but when he fails at putting it on me I laugh, taking it from him and doing it myself.

"Thank you for the amazing birthday," I thank him, and he nods, pulling me in for a kiss. After another half an hour or so, I notice what time it is. "I have to go home," I hesitantly say, upset that the perfect night is coming to an end.

He frowns. "Are you sure?" I nod. "Yeah... I probably should've been home earlier than this." He sighs. "Okay... I'll drive you home."

•°•·•°•·•°•·

When he pulls into my driveway, I turn towards him. "Thanks again. You know, for everything tonight." He smiles at me. "No problem. Anything for you." Even though we've been dating for months, every time we're alone my heart beats like it did when I first started talking to him.

He walks me to the door, and we kissed one last time before my mother came out and practically pulled me inside, since I'm late home. "Bye," I say, smiling in apology. "Bye, see you soon," he responds, walking backwards towards his car.

I wave as he drives away, then shutting the door and running to my room. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday.

•°•·•°•·•°•·

I'm sure this sucks but you love me so you won't hate me for it.... I hope. I figured this chapter was only fitting because today is, well, today. 💕

dedicated to rayy_14 because you guys have the same birthday :)