Chapter 29 - Liam's POV

Warnings: Descriptions of someone's death and mentions of miscarriage 

"Is it okay if I sleepover?" She asked as she pulled away from our make out session, gasping for air.

It would be like old times, sleeping over at each other's houses, staying up all night, talking and eating junk food. Does that still apply for 30-year-old adults? Can we still do the things we used to do when we were teenagers? I mean I have trouble staying up past 10pm these days, but I was willing, no wanted, to take this chance with Y/N. I didn't want to ruin chances I would have with her.

"Of course. Let's get you out of that dress." Her eyebrows shot up as she bit her bottom swollen lip. My eyes widened, realizing what I just said. "I didn't mean it that way!" I immediately defended myself. "I mean let's get you into bed."

She tried to fight back the smile between her teeth. "Oh gosh, I didn't mean it that way either! I mean," I sighed, knowing there's no way to recover from this.

"You're cute when you're nervous," she smiled. "Just like that morning in Laguna Beach."

"You make me nervous," I said honestly, avoiding her gaze as I looked down at my feet and slid my hands into my pocket.

She slowly walked towards me, every step killing me and making my heart go all havoc. "Why do I make you nervous, Liam?" She asked, teasingly.

I swallowed hard as I grabbed her shoulders and rubbed my hands up and down before regaining the strength to speak correctly. "Because I've wanted this for so long and I don't want to mess this up. I'm afraid to mess this up." I pulled her in and held her tight; refusing to ever let her go again.

I felt her muscles relax under my hold as one of her arms wrapped around my lower back and one hand rubbing my shoulder blades, absolutely comforting me and washing away my worries. "Liam, you won't screw this up, because of how much you want this. Liam, since I've been back you've shown me reasons to believe you wouldn't mess this up. I trust you. I believe in you."

I nuzzled my face at the crook of her neck, appreciating how well she still understands me after all these years. She knew I wouldn't break her heart again and I was going to spend the rest of my life making up for it and the time we missed out on. "Can we please go to bed?"

She chuckled. "Yes. Would you mind lending me some clothes? I think that's what you meant earlier," she teased.

I chuckled at myself for making myself look like a complete idiot just a few minutes ago. "I think I might have something for you to wear."

Y/N changed into a pair of my boxers and a lacrosse playoff shirt. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She looked beautiful with no make-up on and her messy hair tied up at the top of her head. She slid under the covers as she faced me, tucking her hands underneath the pillow. Our eyes immediately locked and we just gazed at each other for what seems like hours. I pushed back the strand of hair that fell to her face and tucked it behind her ear. She leaned into my palm as she closed her eyes. We didn't need to say anything. I was perfectly content in this moment with her. I never wanted it to end. I wanted every night to be like this with her.

I slung my arm around her waist and pulled her towards me. I caught a glimpse of a shiny silver thing peeking from just above my lacrosse shirt. Y/N looked down at my hand as I tugged it out. Her heart began to race out of fear, only making me wonder even more what it was.

I realized what it was, a silver necklace with three silver wedding rings: an engagement ring, and two wedding bands. I swallowed hard knowing exactly who they belonged to. "I'm sorry," I whispered immediately as I tried to tuck them back under her shirt.