Chapter Thirty-Seven: Discontent

After finding that Gregor Clegane has abandoned Harrenhall and slaughtered all the prisoners that they had been holding; it had made Sanira feel ill and there had been no survivors that could have been rescued. 

The army had started to march towards Riverrun after news had reached them that Lord Hoster Tully had passed away; it had come as a shock and Robb was determined to pass his respects to his grandfather. 

There had also been news from Winterfell, it been put to the torch by the Iron Islanders and there had been no news about what was happening with Theon. 

Sanira shifted awkwardly in her saddle, it had been a long trip and she was growing tired of being on her horse for such long periods of time. 

Greywind trotted by her side, he rarely wondered away from her now and Sanira was grateful that he was always in her sight; she felt a little out of place in an army full of men. 

The only other women that seemed to travel with them were healers and silent-sisters, Sanira didn't feel right around them because she was only here because she was Robb's wife. 

"We're at war. This march is a distraction," Rickard Karstark complained looking over the marching men, his horse stood beside Robb's and he wasn't happy with where they were heading. 

Things had deteriorated since Walder Frey's men had marched home and Robb wasn't sure what he could do to turn things around without some help. 

Robb sighed looking towards his wife, he didn't understand why Lord Karstark was being so much trouble about this; he understood that he was upset about the deaths of his two sons but there was nothing that Robb could do about it now. 

"My grandfather's funeral is not a distraction," Robb stated watching his wife closely, he was surprised with how well she was dealing with traveling with an army.

It couldn't have been an easy thing and Robb hoped that they would be able to go home soon, he wished that he had some idea on how to make that happen; this war had dragged on for nearly three years now. 

"Are we riding into battle at Riverrun?" Rickard Karstark asked already knowing the answer, they did not have time for trips like this and the Lannisters would be plotting against them in that very moment. 

There was still no news on finding Jaime Lannister and his escape had put everything that they were working towards in jeopardy. 

Since Catelyn Stark had released him, things had rapidly started to fall apart for the North and even the birth of the little prince hadn't been enough to turn things around completely. 

Robb shook his head, he had no idea what he could do to make this better but he wished that Rickard Karstark would back off; it wasn't like this was all Robb's fault. 

"Then it's a distraction," Rickard Karstark stated glancing at his King, he had never thought that this would be how it worked out and he had lost so much fighting for this cause. 

Robb took a deep breath and focused on his wife, he was almost glad that Greywind hadn't needed a push when it came to keeping an eye on Sanira; he wanted to keep her safe even if she was marching with his army right now. 

"My uncle Edmure has his forces garrisoned there and we need his men," Robb explained knowing that they needed every man that they could get, losing the men that Walder Frey had sent them had been a blow. 

Robb had written to the Lord but there had been no reply to explain why he had called his men back when they were in the middle of a war.

"Unless he's been breeding them, he doesn't have enough to make a difference," Rickard Karstark stated knowing that whatever forces lay in Riverrun would not be enough to fix the hole that had been left by Frey men. 

They needed to do something and marching towards Riverrun should have been the last thing on their minds; they needed to focus on their next move in battle. 

"Have you lost faith in our cause?" Robb asked growing annoyed with Rickard Karstark's negativity when it came to their mission, he didn't understand what he could do to make the man have faith that they could win this war again. 

Things had changed since they had marched out from Winterfell in 298 AL, it seemed like such a long time ago and Robb had no idea what he was going to do next; he was so unsure what was going to happen now. 

"If it's revenge then I still have faith in it," Rickard Karstark stated knowing that he would do anything to get revenge for his two sons; they had died for this war and he wouldn't give up until Jaime Lannister had paid for what he had done. 

Not even the fact that Sanira had named her son for the founder of House Karstark had not changed the grief that he felt nor his anger about what had happened. 

"If you no longer believe..." Robb started with a shake of his head, he didn't know what more Rickard expected him to do; they had men searching for Jaime Lannister and they had yet to find him. 

He cursed his mother for leaving such a mess behind and Robb couldn't help but wonder why she thought that Jaime Lannister would return Sansa or Arya when he got to the capital. 

"I could believe until it snows in Dorne but it won't change the fact that we've got half the men," Rickard Karstark replied knowing that there was nothing that could be done that would change the fact that they were now on the losing side.

"May I speak my mind, Your Grace," Rickard Karstark asked looking towards Robb, he knew that this wasn't his place but soon it would become the front of everyone's mind; he wasn't the only one to start thinking about this. 

Robb only turned to look at Rickard, he had noticed that things had slowly begun to feel more tense; he felt a little lost and he wanted to do something to stop that. 

"Have you not already been speaking your mind Lord Karstark?" Robb asked feeling even more annoyed with everything that was happening, he trusted Rickard but it didn't feel like the man trusted him. 

Sanira was the only thing that made Robb feel like he had all the answers and that he wasn't going to screw all this up. 

"Your Queen is useless... House Tremaine has not supported this cause since it started and people and being to see why," Rickard Karstark stated looking towards Sanira, people had begun to think that they supported Joffrey's claim to the throne and it was going to create tension sooner or later. 

It wouldn't be long before the camp started to question just where her loyalty lay and the fact that Sanira was now traveling with them could cause more harm thang good. 

"She's got Lannister blood... as has your son," Rickard Karstark pointed out, Arlenna was very much a Lannister even after being married to Rolan for so many years and it made him wonder just what she had been teaching her children. 

There had been little news about what was happening in Aeredale and Rickard doubted that they would ever receive help from House Tremaine even if the house was meant to be bannermen to House Stark. 

"Karlon is my son... and Sanira is my wife, they are of House Stark," Robb stated not liking this at all, he would not have anyone doubt Sanira's place at his side just because her mother was a Lannister. 

Sanira was nothing like Arlenna and Robb knew that whatever was happening at Aeredale was down to Arlenna; he could only hope it came to an end soon.