Chapter Twenty-Eight: Unexpected News

"Ser Rodrick," Sanira greeted moving down the steps, she was almost surprised to see the Master-of-Arms since she had assumed that he would stay with her husband as he continued his war. 

It had been a while since Sanira had heard from Robb and she worried what might be happening, the news that Eddard Stark had been executed by Joffrey could not have gone down well in Robb's camp. 

Sanira wished that she could have been there to comfort her husband in his hour of need but he was all the way in the Riverlands and Sanira was in Winterfell ruling until his return. 

Ser Rodrick Cassel stared at the woman that descended the stairs, his eyes watching her closely knowing that he had only returned on her husband's orders. 

Robb was concerned that Sanira may become a target for anyone that wished to sudden displace his position as the King in the North; he wanted Sanira safe and this was the only way to ensure it. 

"Your Grace," Ser Rodrick greeted with a bow, he was going to ensure that Winterfell was protected against whatever came at them. 

Sanira paused at the greeting, her brow furrowing at the greeting knowing that it was not the correct one for her; she was a lady and the term was reserved for a King or his Queen. 

Maester Luwin lingered behind Sanira, he was just as taken back by the term that Ser Rodrick had used; he wondered what had happened in the Riverlands. 

"I apologise... I assumed that your husband would have written to you by now," Ser Rodrick explained when he realised that Sanira had no idea what he was talking about, he was sure that it wouldn't be long before Robb sent word to Sanira about the sudden changes.

Ser Rodrick had been surprised at Robb's request to return to Winterfell as soon as he had become King; the move had been done in private and Ser Rodrick sensed that the new King was wary of his men discovering his plans. 

Robb had sent Catelyn to negotiate an alliance with King Renly Baratheon, even when she had requested to return to Winterfell to Bran and Rickon while Theon had gone to negotiate an alliance with Lord Balon Greyjoy. 

He guessed that the Young Wolf was concerned for what might happen next and one look at Sanira confirmed why Robb was so concerned about her. 

The green long sleeve dress that she was wearing just concealed the small bump that she now carried and Ser Rodrick sensed that it was the main reason Robb had sent him. 

The fact that Sanira was carrying the heir to the North would be big news and a massive target for the Lannisters who would want to ensure that this rebellion ended soon.

"Your husband has become King in the North," Ser Rodrick explained gently, he couldn't imagine what the future would hold for the North now. 

Everything seemed to go silent at those words and Sanira stared at Ser Rodrick wondering if this was some sort of joke; there was no way that Robb could be King in the North. 

"Are you certain?" Maester Luwin asked moving forward, he looked at Sanira wondering what was going on; he doubted that anyone could have seen this coming. 

Ser Rodrick nodded his head, he had been there when the Lords of the North had made their decision and he was sure that it would work out well for the Starks. 

Especially if they managed to create an alliance with Renly Baratheon making him King in the South while the Northerns gained the freedom that they now wanted from the South. 

Sanira opened and closed her mouth, she had no idea how to react to the news of what had transpired.

***

"I can't believe that you are Queen," Aiana mused with a shake of her head, it didn't seem real that Sanira had elevated to such a position and she doubted that Cersei would be thrilled when she found out. 

The last few months had been a little intense with war breaking out in Westeros and Aiana had little doubt that things were going to drag on for a lot longer than anyone had ever hoped. 

There was no way that Joffrey would take the North's decision of independence lightly and would drag this out for as long as possible; he had Sansa and Arya has hostages and would hope that this would slow the Northerns down in some way. 

Sanira nodded her head, her thoughts filled with what this could mean for her and her unborn child; she feared just how their enemies would attack them if they discovered that she was carrying Robb's child. 

"And hopefully you'll have a healthy son one day," Aiana continued with a smile, she was thrilled at the news that Sanira was going to be a mother; she felt that her friend would be a wonderful mother even after what her own mother would put her through. 

Sanira rested a hand on her bump, she swallowed at the thought of how much pressure would be on her to produce a son for Robb now. 

Her husband needed a male heir now more than ever and Sanira knew that everyone would be looking to her to do it; when Robb had just been heir to Winterfell they could have taken their time to produce a son, however now that Robb was King there was a greater need for a son. 

Sanira closed her eyes wondering what Robb's next move was going to be and she feared just what might come from the North's desire to break free from Joffrey's control.

***

Arlenna Tremaine stared at the letter that she had been handed and frowned, the news that had reached her was disheartening and she knew that there was no way that she could allow her husband to discover this news. 

Taking a deep breath, Arlenna slowly crumbled the letter up and closed her eyes knowing that this was the last thing that she needed right now. 

The door to the bed chamber opened and Arlenna tucked the letter into her dress, her eyes moving to look at Maester Seymour; she took a deep breath and forced a look of concern to her face. 

"How is my husband?" Arlenna asked knowing that in these trying times that things had to be planned carefully, she wanted nothing more than to ensure that her husband would never be able to join Robb Stark in his battle against her brother. 

Maester Seymour eyed Arlenna, he didn't know what it was about the woman but he doubted that it would be long before she fled from Aeredale and travelled South some way to support her Lannister family. 

She had already moved to block any ideas of the Tremaine army joining with the rest of the North and while Rolan was ill in bed, it was Arlenna that controlled everything. 

"He is resting my lady," Maester Seymour revealed before allowing her to step into the room, he eyed her for a moment before he hurried away. 

News of Sanira's pregnancy had reached them and Maester Seymour feared for his former charge, he didn't trust anyone here and he feared what Arlenna might do when she discovered this news. 

Arlenna shut the door behind her and walked over to the wine that was set on the table, she took a heavy breath knowing that her next move had to be careful. 

Ensuring that her husband was sleeping still, Arlenna carefully poured the poison that she had hidden in her dress into the wine and prayed that Tywin would keep his promise.