Emil stepped forward, hoisting his quiver over his shoulder. "There's nothing we can do here. We need to get out of the city."

"Natalie has twisted your judgment, brother." Aurelia's husky voice was a growl. "For what? Etlis's flames will consume Earth and we will be damned for eternity to a realm of fire. Already, we've lost Otho—because you trusted her!" She turned to Vita. "Surely, my sister, you understand?"

"It's not Natalie's fault," Vita said. Though she was small in stature, she held herself as if she were taller than Aurelia. She placed her hand over the haft of one dagger at her waist. "Otho knew the dangers when he sought the siren. Patience, sister—we will bring our brother home."

Tage leaned into Ezra. "We have to find a way out of here."

Two men dressed in tactical gear blocked the doorway. Along their necks, Tage spotted the welted scar of the Hunter's mark. The Hunters were traveling with humans? Maybe she could take them. She eyed the guns holstered at their hips. Too risky. 

She scanned for another way out when a glimmering sheen drew her attention. She sucked in a sharp breath. No, no, no. Tears welled in her eyes. A gold arrow dropped from Daspar's palm. Blood seeped through his shirt and onto the couch. She crawled toward him, Ezra scooting beside her. "Daspar," she whispered and shook him gently, but he didn't respond.

Tage's gaze darted to Vita; a rosy hue flushed the Huntress's plump cheeks. A whimper escaped Tage's lips.

"It's your fault!" Aurelia shouted.

"Take your hands off me." Natalie yanked her arm from Aurelia's grip. "If you hadn't lost your temper, I would have my sister and you would have your precious Otho." Natalie stepped over the broken chair and marched across the fallen door. She crouched next to Corinne, sweeping the bloodied hair from her face.

"She's your mother?" Emil approached her.

"She gave birth to me." Natalie stood. "Nothing more." She nodded to one man standing guard at the entrance. "We'll take them all with us."

"Your sister and Otho are gone," Emil said. "There's no need to keep this much company. You know how hard it is for us to resist." He nodded toward Daspar, then Vita.

Natalie placed her hand on his chest. "I need them. I will help you resist." She glanced up, and they held each other's stare for a long moment.

Tage couldn't believe what she was seeing. How did Emil keep from tearing her soul right out of her body?

His hand brushed Natalie's cheek. "I can't make any promises."

Tage's skin flushed hot; her pulse raced. "I'd rather die than go with you!"

Natalie's soft smile twisted and her eyes took on a gleam of excitement. "So eager to die. Is that what Daspar taught you?" She huffed. "Did you buy into his self-sacrificing crap, Tage Summerfield?"

Tage pressed Daspar's chest; his faint pulse wavered. How did Natalie know who she was? Daspar safeguarded her identity. He'd sworn...

"I know all about you. Daspar trained you well, but I learned every one of his spells; every spell from Pura's siren soul. Look how good Vita looks now because of Pura." She nodded toward Vita, who turned away, letting her hair fall over her face. "When Daspar wakes, if he wakes, he'll be nothing more than a human, which is what he should have been all along."

Natalie stepped beside Tage and Ezra, and when Ezra lunged, she shoved him back with the heel of her boot. At once, Emil nocked an arrow. When Natalie raised her hand, he held off shooting, but he kept the arrow drawn.