Two

Get out of my head! She clenched her teeth

Get out of my head! She clenched her teeth. You're not real.

Asair chuckled. I'm as real as the boy standing next to you.

Halen teetered on the edge of the armrest, catching Tage's attention.

Tage cocked her head to the side and bit back the piercings on her lip.

Halen studied the print behind Tage to avoid her stare. She thought of colors, composition, the gnarled wood frame—anything to throw Tage off from getting a read on her. But Tage was too smart.

She lunged, grabbing Halen by her arms. "Is he in there?"

Halen's spine stiffened. Why couldn't vanishing be one of her siren powers?

Tage shook her hard. "Answer me!"

"Get off her!" Dax pulled Tage, but she slapped his hand back.

"It's Asair," Tage said. "He's not dead! He's hiding inside Halen."

"Whoa, wait a minute." Ezra scooted to the other side of the couch. "You're still not thinking these fires have anything to do with Asair—really?" He raked his hand through his hair, tugging at the ends.

Halen's breath quickened. Her skin heated with sparks. She had to say something, but guilt and fear blocked the words from rising to her throat.

"I knew it." Tage gripped her hard, interpreting her silence as a confession. 

"Look, I—" Halen started to explain when a blinding ray of light burst through the room. 

Tage let go, shielding her eyes, and Halen leaped from the chair. Peeking between her fingers, she darted across the room. She had to know what was out there. If the fires were because of her—because she hadn't killed Asair—she had to know what she was facing. 

Dax ran to her side. "Get back!"

The sky deepened with clouds, the orange embers fading with the sun, and even though the neon numbers of the clock radio reflected 2:58 p.m. on the windowpane, the sky turned pitch black. 

They stood in silence, peering into the void. Dax leaned closer. His chest rose and fell, keeping time with her rapid heartbeat.

"Look there!" Ezra pointed.

Halen followed his gaze. A swirling ring of fire crowned the darkness. The ring swelled in diameter, undulating with a rippling force. Transfixed on the center, a shadowy form swaying from side to side drew her attention. She pressed her sparking fingers against the warming glass; the thrumming sound of the beating pulse vibrated along her arms.

Silver wings flashed, swishing past, narrowly missing the pane.

"Dragon!" Dax dragged her away from the window.