Seven

"You let her escape!" Aurelia shook her bow in her fist

"You let her escape!" Aurelia shook her bow in her fist. She crossed the room and butted against Natalie. "She was right in front of you!"

Natalie shoved her. "Back off, Aurelia. You shot the first gold arrow—her soul wasn't part of the deal." Natalie's green gaze simmered with challenge.

"What the hell's going on? Natalie isn't even freaked by the Hunters," Tage whispered. Natalie was unhinged. And she added insane to the list of things she knew about Halen's sister.

"Maybe they don't need her soul because they're in a room full of sirens. We need to see if we can still get through the portal." Ezra edged toward the window.

Tage followed, being careful not to draw attention, while Natalie and Aurelia argued. 

She pressed her hand to the window, not feeling any trace of magick left. She eyed Daspar, slumped along the cushions. Corinne lay beside her on the floor. She touched Corinne's warm cheek. Though blood dripped from her temple and her eyes fluttered beneath closed lids, her chest rose and fell with breath.  

"Is she okay?" Ezra whispered.

She pressed Corinne's pulse; a faint rhythm beat at her fingertips. "I hope so." Tage glanced at the Hunters.

"We aren't getting out of here," he whispered against her ear, "are we?"

Tage didn't want to say. She knew all too well their fate. Deep lines rimmed Aurelia's eyes, her neck sagged at the chin ever so slightly, and streaks of gray marred her silky black hair. Emil stood at her side. Other than a trimmed beard, his olive skin was as smooth as Ezra's, although he was ancient. Without the kill of a siren, he would be nothing but withered flesh clinging to bones.

"We never should have trusted a siren." Aurelia rummaged through Daspar's pockets, ignoring his moans. "Otho's soul isn't here!"

Her angered gaze landed on Tage. She strode over the debris, stopping in front of them. She grabbed Tage's collar, pulling her under her nose. "Where is Otho—where is his soul?" Her eyes sprouted with fine lines.

Tage trembled, fearing Aurelia would kill her on the spot, just for vanity's sake.

"Leave her alone!" Ezra swatted Aurelia's arm.

"Watch your mouth, siren, or you'll be next." With her free hand, Aurelia struck him across the face, and he flew back. "As you can see, I need a kill." Her gaze drifted to the cracked mirror, and she winced as if her reflection pained her. 

"I won't be your Botox!" Ezra shouted.

Natalie snorted.

Dropping Tage, Aurelia lunged for Ezra. 

"Calm down," Natalie pulled her back. "We'll find him."

"You promised me Otho's soul. You said he would be here." She pointed to the window where the portal once spun. "They took him through there."