Chapter Three: Outside

"His heartbeat has slightly accelerated, Doctor." The nurse pointed out. Patient 802, known to Patients 800 and 801 as Twist McFitch, had also slightly turned his body in his medically induced coma. The nurse adjusted her eyeglasses and clipboard, neatly jotting down minute details and changes that Patient 802 had made since turning. "At exactly 12:01, 3 seconds, the heartbeat of Patient 801 slightly accelerated for 9 to 15 seconds. His right hand twitched and he extended a finger ever so slightly towards Patient 800." She pushed up her glasses and looked up at Dr. Borman with rapt attention. "He has made no movements since that time."

"This is wonderful, Nurse. Wonderful. Do you know what sort of medical breakthroughs we will make with this?" He smiled and kissed her hand. He gestured with his hand, dismissing her. She bowed her head as she bowed out of the room. As soon as the nurse was gone, Borman dropped his happy Doctor face. He checked the heart moniter closely and smiled wickedly. He bent down and pressed a secret notch on the underside of 802's bed. A drawer opened up to reveal a set of syringes. He withdrew the first on the far left and cracked a tiny smile. The needle was small, as was the vial containing the injection. But size doesn't count. It's how you use it. He pinched the needle into 802's arm. The patient made no reaction. That was okay. It would affect him in the Unawakening state, and that, that was what mattered most.