39

"Mom?" Elijah seemed to reel back, watching as the woman stood in front of his door

"Well aren't you going to open the door, Elijah?" Her arms were folded across her chest as she narrowed her eyes at her son—she seemed to be in a fairly mood as Elijah noticed her fiery red lips curled into a smile. The woman wore a floral blouse styled with a pair of sandals and some blue jeans—her recently dyed tresses were pulled into a bun. She looked good.

"Sorry." He opened the door wider, allowing her to saunter inside. She frowned as she walked into the living room, her eyes landing on Rayan who'd been carelessly channel surfing. She stood in front of the television, her lips pursed and eyes focused on the man—he didn't bother to acknowledge her presence.

"You ain't made of glass, lady." He finally muttered. "I can't see the tv."

"I surely hope this isn't how you treat my son." She responded, her mouth agape at the disrespectful.

"Mom." Elijah frowned before sitting beside his boyfriend.

"Does he tell you to move away from the TV rather than acknowledge your presence?" She mimicked his frown and nodded in the direction of Rayan.

"No because I don't stand in front of the tv. I ain't made of glass, mom."

"Elijah." She warned, distaste setting on her features at his poor grammar. His obvious sarcasm seemed to get under her skin. The woman decided to sit in an open chair before speaking again as she began to fiddle with her fingers. "I know I was told about randomly stopping by," She sighed, continuing to glance down at her freshly manicured nails. "But I did want to apologize for my previous behavior. I'm usually not a callous woman so I hate for that to have been our first encounter." Her eyes were now set on Rayan. He sat, unmoving as his slouched on the couch, now engaging with what she was saying. "I wouldn't mind getting to know you more, young man. If my baby boy feels as though you're worthy enough to be his boyfriend then I have no choice but to accept it." She admitted. Elijah smiled at his mother, suddenly feeling a sense of pride.

"I do love you, son, sometimes it's just hard for me accept that you are your own man," She continued. "With that being said, Elijah, I want us to have dinner at home tonight. I miss you and I know you miss my collards and cornbread—it'll be a joy if Rayan could tag along as well."

Elijah watched as Rayan's eyes widened at the suggestion, his attention now turned towards Elijah. He was pleading for him boyfriend to deny the invitation. "Ray can't come actually," Elijah said quickly, straightening up in his seat. "But I would like to bring someone else."

"Who then?"

~

"I can't believe you're making me do this." Tessa whispered as she straightened her dress for what felt like the millionth time. Elijah forced the woman to attend their mother's dinner and nearly fought with her to get her to put on a dress—he mimicked her formal attire and sported a button top with a pair of slacks.