The One With The Hamptons

Emma stayed in the hospital for another month. All the while, the whole group worried about her. She was finally sent to live with her parents once she was a bit too familiar with her surroundings.

Rachel and Ross had a house in the Hamptons where Emma grew up. They thought it would be the best idea for the first thing for her to hear was the crashing of Long Island waves, since they always used to soothe her. Her room was still there; untouched; still overly-pink and girly.

Rachel stood by the doorframe while Ross cradled the back of her body as they observed their daughter revolve her head around the room, identifying polaroids pasted against her wall and tracing her fingers against unfamiliar faces.

"That's the boy," She mumbled, and Rachel stepped next to her. "Anthony, sweetie. His name is Anthony."

"...Okay! How about some grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch?" Ross says, clapping his hands together after the awkward silence.

Emma nods, and watches her father leave the room. Rachel smiles worriedly, analyzing her daughter's face. She's known her for 23 years, yet now, she doesn't know who the girl in front of her is.

"Don't worry, mom," Emma sighs, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I remember a lot. I remember this place, I remember you guys, I-I just don't remember my life in the city."

***

"It's been two months," Ari whines, tipping her head over the side of the recliner.

"Two months of what?" Anthony responds indifferently. He keeps his eyes on the television, but can feel his sister's burning glare on his cheek.

"You know what," She growls, but it turns into a whimpering sob. "Emma doesn't fucking remember us."

"You don't think I don't know that?" Anthony mumbles to himself, his chest tensing up. He feels as if he can't breathe; can't survive without her.

"You should go see her. In the Hamptons," Ari sighs.

"Yeah, because Rachel, Ross and Emma will definitely want to see me."

"If you love her you shouldn't give a shit about what they think."

***

Now Anthony was driving in his crappy little Rolls Royce towards Long Island. Take the porsche, it's out of the shop, Ari said, but he couldn't drive in that thing. It made his throat close up and his breathing rapid.

Anthony finally stopped and inched the automobile into the wrap around driveway. It was almost dinner time, at 4:30 pm.

He knocks on the door to be greeted by Ross, who almost slammed the door on his face. Anthony inserted his elbow between the door.

"Just let me see her," He whispered. He could hear Ross heave as he finally let the boy into the house.

"Anthony," Rachel smiles weakly, setting her Home and Garden magazine down. "What a lovely surprise."

Anthony nods. Rachel, even if she's a stunning presence, looks extremely tired, sad, and worried.

"I'm really sorry for intruding at the wrong time," Anthony says awkwardly, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"You should be," Ross says, tugging at his sweater, and Rachel gives him an annoyed look.

Ross sighs again and turns towards Anthony. "She's upstairs. She's going to yell. Be ready."

Anthony nods and heads towards the bannister. Half-way up the stairs, he looks back to see Rachel and Ross share a kiss and snuggle. Even if they're in a rough patch, they'll always love each other.

***

Emma is rubbing her hands up and down her sides, her back towards Anthony. She cradles the sides of her small waist and watches the ocean waves intently.

"Emma."

She doesn't instantly respond; instead places some hair behind her ear and inhales sharply. She finally turns around.

"I knew you would come." She rests her hands on the window sill. Anthony thought she would look ragged, tired and older, but she looks like she's ready to go to prom. Her hair is toussled into a messy bun with a braid wrapped around the side of her head and her lips are glistening with a light gloss. She's smiling unhappily; if that makes any sense. 

Emma must have noticed that Anthony was staring at her quite intently. "I-i've had a lot of time alone, and when i'm bored, I play with makeup."

"You play that game quite well," He says, smiling. Emma's frown doesn't change.

"...Your dad said you were going to yell."

"Don't worry, I will," Emma says, taking her hands off the sill and crosses them. "Give me a moment."

Anthony nods and starts to gaze around the room, remembering all the moments he spent there. When he helped Emma with her 4th grade homework, when he played seven minutes in heaven and Emma said to "make kissing sounds and act like they kissed," when Anthony really wanted to do the real thing.

"YOU RUINED MY LIFE!" She exclaimed, which threw Anthony against the wall. He wasn't expecting it, even if she said she would start yelling.

"I think about that every day. All I want to do is love you, b-but--"

"LOVE ME? REALLY?" Emma steps towards him and pushes a hand to his chest. For a split second, their eyes meet, and Anthony thinks that she finally remembers him. The moment soon disappears when Emma slaps him. "I don't even know who you are. All I know is that you said you were my boyfriend, and I was a model. Which I don't believe."

"Why don't you? The press has been freaking out over you. Your parents have tried to dispose of all the papers because you've been in the papers every other week."

Emma doesn't say anything. She just presses her arms against her chest and stands there, motionless.

"Ralph Lauren and Dior and those other brands you're the face of-- they've been making money off of your "mysterious disappearance." Celebrities love drama."

"We must have had the worst relationship ever. You're a dick."

Anthony nods, and lets Emma's words seep in. He doesn't want to cry in front of her, so he leaves the room.

~

Hey guys! SO SO SO sorry for not updating EMMA. I wouldn't say i've been in writer's block, i've just been so caught up with a bunch of stuff and genuinely don't know what this story will lead to. But now I know exactly what's going to happen, so be prepared for this book to be finished today.

XX Katy