[18] Valon Sadesh

Twilight swept the Wolf Cry Mountain range and soon after, starlight pierced the dark veil of the night sky. A slight waning moon rose in the east. The foul breeze from the temple worsened as if the rot moved faster in the dark.

"Wish me luck," said Wess. He twitched a bit while he checked and rechecked to make sure his kit stayed tied down and in position. He left his backpack, food, water, and bedroll behind.

Kayla laid a hand on his shoulder. "Wesley, before you go, there is something I must tell you. The dagger. The Tenchi dagger you found. It contains magical properties. The runes on the hilt. Let me see them."

"Really?" said the Faeling with the smile of an eager child. He pulled the long Elven dagger from the sheath, gave it a twirl and handed it to her. "I knew it. What does it do?"

Kayla laid the weapon on a rock, then removed some things from her pouches: the teapot, a small white pearl, the feather of an owl's wing, a teacup, and finally her wineskin. She carefully smashed the pearl with Otis' hammer and scraped the dust into the teapot. She poured some wine into the pot and mixed the components together with the feather. The Wizard emptied the potion into the teacup and drank it down. Her blue eyes brightened and she waved her hand over the dagger muttering her incantation.

"Behold," Kayla declared, her voice baritone. "Ravenwing. Crafted by the bladesmith Tempyn for the Unagoda Yintola...the King's Guard. It has seen many battles. If the blade is thrown it will return to the wielder's hand. It is a weapon to be treasured." Her eyes dimmed and she handed it back to the assassin. "I expect you to return with it."

"I will," said Wess with wonder and imagination. "Ravenwing," he whispered to himself as he flipped it from hand to hand. Suddenly, with a flick of his wrist, he sent the dagger flying end over end until it stuck in a tree trunk with a wicked thud. A moment later, it pulled free from the tree and took the same path back to Faeling's throwing hand. "Ahh...magic."

The Wizard then handed the Assassin a brass tube. "Here is the scroll. And I want you to take this with you as well." She removed the amulet from her neck.

"I cannot, Kayla. I won't. Don't worry. I'm just going to have a bit of fun." Wesley had plenty of magical protection in has Faerie tattoos and felt he had little need of the necklace.

"Very well," said the Wizard. "Are you ready?"

"Ready when you are," Wess replied as he whipped open his glasses and placed them appropriately.

Kayla plucked one of her long eyelashes and slowly let her eyes close. With an angled hand gesture she spoke the arcane word, "Shadaliss" and he became invisible. "Go now. You haven't much time before the spell wears off."

"Right then," said Wess, "wish me luck."

Haygen growled, "Beat it, Knucklehead. Be careful."

"Gather what you can," reminded Otis calling after him. "Stick to the plan!"

[][][]

It seemed like an hour for Wess to reach the primeval temple from the edge of the woods, and he managed to reach the eastern side of the amphitheater unseen. The green pots of fire put off light but gave him ample shadow for when the invisibility spell wore off. A loud rattle startled him and, to his surprise, the large iron chains at the gates began to clang. The doors slowly pulled open. In long ranks, soldiers in dull chain Hauberks and black tunics began to file out and climb the coliseum steps to find rest in the gigantic amphitheater. Wess moved in for a closer look.

They seemed to be of all different humanoid races. There were Men, Elves, Dwarfs, Faelings, many Orcs and Goblins. The majority of them male. Wess would call the majority of them "Heavy Hitters." They would not be slouches in a fight for sure. He counted the rows of cultists. One hundred, Two hundred...and eventually roughed out two thousand strong. A deep bell rang and in came the main attraction.