Hats and tangled fairy lights/1

Start from the beginning

I was glad to get inside as quick as possible, but everyone else decided to congratulate the bride outside. The building from the outside looked boring and bleak, brick upon brick. But from the inside was a whole different story.

It was mostly white, with a small gold strip running the along every wall that connected. It also ran along the floor and ceiling. The doors were curved at the top and had golden frames. There were intricate patterns that had been carved into every ceiling and door of vines growing up with leaves and occasional flowers growing out.

The doors to the main hall were open so I stepped inside. It was the same as all the other rooms, but the ceiling was curved to get the full vine affect. A large chandelier hung down from the ceiling, illuminating the entire room. It looked like it was made of glass with little crystal lines hanging down. At the back of the room opposite the door there was a large wooden stage with white curtains hanging from it. The curtains had been tied back with a golden tie so you could see the back curtain too (which was also white). There were various instruments along the back and a microphone at the front.

Tables were dotted around the room and there was a big space in the middle which I guessed was for the dance floor. To the left of the room there were about 9 large windows the reached down to the floor and up to the high ceiling. Gold also lined them. In front of the middle window and the two next to them there were a few tables set up full of various food and I'm the middle, the cake. It was 3 tiers and a light pink colour. There was white icing decorating it and a few edible (I'm guessing) red flowers around it and at the top of the cake.

To the left of the room there were two doors. One was closer to the entrance of the room and it was labeled kitchen by a large wooden sign above the door. Waiters and waitresses came flooding out and busied themselves with finishing the set up for the tables before the new couple came inside. The other door was closer to the stage and was shut. There wasn't a sign above it, so I guessed it was no entry.

Looking at the table closest to the door I realised that there were no name places, apart from the ones on the tables in front of the stage. They were for the immediate family members and all the bridesmaids and the newly wed etc. I decided that I would have the seat closest to the door. I pulled my blazer off and put it on the seat before walking back towards the main door as guests started to come through.

Dad tried to record the wedding, but he forgot to press record on the camera, so as soon as he got inside he went off to find someone that did so he could use their video to save himself the embarrassment. Mom dragged me to congratulate the bride while she talked to some of her old friends, and that's when I first saw something.

I didn't see much apart from a flash of black and blue, but I was already intrigued. The dress code was bright colours, so why where they wearing dark ones? Were they a waiter/waitress? I looked around again and saw a waiter in the corner. He was wearing all white apart from his apron around his waist, which was a sort of golden colour. He matched the room. I looked back to find no one there. Strange.

"Dan!" Carrie suddenly said into my ear, making me jump. I looked over to see her face next to my face with a large grin etched onto it (her face, not mine).

"Oh.... Er, hey Carrie!" I said with a fake smile and enthusiasm. "Congratulations!"

"Awwh, aren't you the cutest?" She said, grabbing hold of me and forcing me into a quick hug. She pulled away and walked off to speak to some other people. I turned and made my way over to the table near the door. I saw my mom watch me from the corner of my eye and she nodded at my table choice.