Chapter 5 ~edited~

It was a crisp, fall afternoon in November, the leaves had almost finished falling off the trees and a light layer of frost covered the grounds. Juliet was sitting by the Great Lake, reading one of the books from the school library.

She had been doing what her father told her, kept her head low and concentrated on her studies. The first month at school was a bit rough however, everyone would make fun of her and at one point Peeves had thrown trash and chalk at her whenever she passed. She tried to remain calm but eventually she had had enough and ended up yelling at a couple of second years. Along with this, her anger caused some of the candles to explode and wax covered their skin which landed Juliet in detention.

Juliet also hadn't spoken to Draco in a few weeks, he had quickly made two friends, though Juliet would really call them followers. She also didn't forget about the green eyed boy, they had a couple of classes together and she greatly admired his skills in flying. She would attempt to mind her own business but she would become insanely jealous when she saw him with his Gryffindor friends.

Juliet heard voices coming closer to her spot and she peeked from behind her book and saw them walking towards her.

The redheaded boy spoke first, "Hello."

Juliet raised an eyebrow, "Are you talking to me?" she said coldly.

The girl stepped forward, "We are actually, there's no need to be rude."

Juliet rolled her eyes, "Why would people like yourselves talk to someone like me?"

The green eyed boy, who she remembered was named Harry, kneeled down beside her, "You seemed lonely and besides those second years, you haven't really bothered anyone."

The other boy piped in, "They deserved it anyways."

Juliet looked into his eyes, "I'm a Lestrange, you should be afraid of me."

Harry shrugged his shoulders, "I guess we'll just leave you alone then. If you happen to change your mind," he stood up, "He's Ron, she's Hermione and I'm Harry."

Juliet nodded, "Juliet."

Behind a tree Draco had been listening to the entire exchange. He shook his head and ran back into the castle. He decided that he would talk to his cousin first before bringing it up to his aunt.

* * * * * * * *

After dinner that night, Draco followed his cousin to the library, he tip toed around hoping she wouldn't hear him.

"I know you're there Draco," Juliet said, her voice heavy with annoyance.

Draco parted the books from the shelf and saw his cousin on the other side, "How did you know?"

"You're not exactly quiet. What do you want anyways?" she said as she flipped through a book.

He cleared his throat, "I saw you talking to that Potter boy and his friends."

Juliet snapped her head up and glared at him, "You were spying on me?"

"Not exactly! I just happened to be there."

She slammed the book closed, "So what if I was talking to them, they approached me first. I didn't go looking for them, I wanted to be alone."

Draco frowned, "You're a Slytherin and a Lestrange, you can't been seen with a couple of Gryffindors."

Juliet made her way around the book shelf and grabbed Draco by his robes, "Bugger off Malfoy," she growled.

Draco pushed her off and picked up his bag. Juliet grabbed his shoulder before he left and stared him down, "If you say anything to anyone I will come after you," she hissed at him.

* * * * * * * *

A cold snowflake landed on Juliet's tongue as she sat at her usual spot by the now frozen Great Lake. She wrapped her scarf tighter around her neck and rubbed her hands together. Christmas was arriving fast but it didn't matter to her, she never celebrated the holiday after her fifth birthday. Most of the school had gone back home already and Juliet had received a letter from her mother telling her she wasn't needed home and to stay at school.

The sound of snow crunching caused her to whip her head around.

"Good morning Juliet."

"Good morning Harry."

Harry moved closer, "Can I sit with you?"

Juliet nodded and moved over slightly, "It's a bit chilly out, isn't it?"

He chuckled, "Well it is snowing."

Juliet suddenly frowned, "Why didn't you go home?"

"My parents wanted to go on a holiday and they had invited me along, but I decided I'd rather have a white Christmas."

Harry blew hot air into his hands, "Why didn't you go home then?"

Juliet shook her head, "You know who my parents are, do you really think they would want me to come home so soon?"

"I can't believe they're your parents, you don't act like them. You're really not that scary. I would've thought you were just shy."

Juliet huffed, "I prefer to be alone. Besides, I'm very much like them, maybe even worse than them."

Harry's eyes widened, "Should I be afraid?"

"Honestly? Probably."

Harry laughed now, "At least you're being truthful about that."

"That doesn't bother you?"

Harry thought for a moment, "I thought it would, but it doesn't. My mum always told me to see the good in people before assuming the worst"

Juliet allowed herself to crack a genuine smile, "Your mother sounds wonderful."

Harry agreed, "She is."

* * * * * * * *

Juliet yawned and squinted her eyes against the sun. She checked her pocket watch and noticed it was still rather early. She rolled out of bed and got ready for the day.

When she got down to the common room she found a couple students, who had stayed behind, opening presents. She waved away the tinge of jealousy that she felt. She left the dungeons, where the Slytherin common room was located, and made her way into the Great Hall.

The Great Hall had giant Christmas tress, decorated over the top, in each of the corners. When she looked up to the ceiling, she could see snowflakes falling and there were wreaths hanging everywhere. She sat down at the Slytherin table and hunched over her bowl of oatmeal.

"Juliet?"

She glanced up, "Draco?"

"Can I join you?"

Juliet hesitated for a moment before nodding her head, "I guess so."

Draco sat next to her, grabbed a few pieces of toast and buttered them. An awkward silence passed over them as they ate their breakfast. A few owls came flying, one of them flying over them and dropped a rather large package in front of Draco.

"Oh, looks like Mum sent me a few things."

Juliet pretended to be uninterested as he ripped open the box.

"Sweets and a jumper...Galleons, I needed these, more sweets. Oh look, there's something here for you."

Juliet perked up and held her hand out for the gift. She rapidly ripped the wrapping paper and opened the box. Inside was a silver necklace with her name on the end of it. She smiled hugely and had Draco put it on her.

"Is it from my Mum?" she asked excitedly.

Draco shook his head, "It's from my parents and I. I asked my Mum if she could get you something, you looked like you needed cheering up."

Juliet gave her cousin a small smile and hugged him, "Thanks Draco, it's just what I needed."

* * * * * * * *