chapter one

[ one; hashtag over it ]

          Summer Belmont had never been a morning person. Unlike her brother, Will, she preferred not to wake up at the crack of dawn.
Will usually woke up early to go to basketball practice, while if Summer did wake up early, it would be solely to watch an episode of her favorite show that she might've missed.
One thing Summer didn't intend to wake up to on a sunny September Friday was the news of Nina Patterson's death. Now Summer had never liked Nina, for Nina had tormented Will incessantly since the kids were young. Nina always made cracks on how Will looked, how sometimes he got problems wrong when he was called on in school. Summer had actually lost track of how many times she had physically gotten in a fight with Nina Patterson.

Summer winced as she got out of bed, her bare feet meeting the cold hardwood of her bedroom floor.
She reached for a jacket to put over her tank top and put on her beige slipper boots.
As she pulled on her boots, she realized that her legs were bare and it was contradicting the jacket and slippers. Shrugging, she went downstairs.
To her dismay, Will sat at the island in the families kitchen, inhaling a plate of blueberry pancakes.

"Eat any faster and I might just start comparing you to a pig." Summer joked, pouring herself a cup of coffee. She took a sip before putting any creamer or sugar into it, just letting the heat and caffeine shoot through her body.

Will chuckled. "At least I eat breakfast." He responded.

Summer cringed at his words, his mouth still full of food. "You know very well that eating right after I wake up makes me sick, Bellboy."

"Y'know, you calling me bellboy because of the last name makes no sense, considering we have the same last name." Will pointed at Summer with his fork.

Summer walked over to her brother. "I don't call you bellboy because of our last name, I call you it because it's hollow in here." She joked, knocking on Will's head.
Will swatted her hand away, a grin on his face.

Summer and Will looked towards the stairs as their mother appeared.
Adaline Belmont was what Will and Summer said was a perfect representation of everything a mother should be.
Carl Belmont, Will and Summer's father, never came around. He and Adaline had split when Will and Summer were ten.
Adaline was left to raise the siblings by herself. It had been six years, and neither Summer or Will would ask for it to have gone any other way.

"Morning mom" Summer greeted, sending the woman a warm smile.

"Morning mom" Will repeated Summer's  words, finally having swallowed his food.

"Good morning, my sweets." Adaline replied, walking to Will and kissing his temple before walking to Summer and kissing her temple as well.

"Are you working early?" Summer asked.

Adaline smiled as she poured herself a to go mug off coffee. "Yes, unfortunately I am. But, that does mean I'll be home earlier tonight."

Will made a noise that sounded like a grunt and sneeze.
Summer rose her eyebrows as she watched him scramble through his backpack and retrieve a piece paper.
He set it down on the counter.

"I need you to sign this." He said to his mother. "Permission slip for a field trip to Lakewood university."

Adaline pulled a pen out from a drawer in the island, signing the permission slip.
"I almost forgot. There's something I need to tell you both." Adaline sighed.
Summer and Will looked to their mother, waiting for her to talk.
"Your father called."

Summer pursed her lips.

"What did he want?" Will asked.

"He wants to talk to you both. He wants you to call him."