Ch. 1

Professor Harold was explaining  about the Psychological Approach. His ideas were always spoken in a fast pace and students were suppose to jot down notes, to follow up with his pace; it was really difficult sometimes. I once asked him to repeat an important idea about Freud. He frowned and said we were not having a dictation. Everybody started laughing, so I was so embarrassed. Hence, I never talked in his class unless he asked a direct question to me.

I had been in New York for about two months. I miss home but this was a great opportunity. I was studying at Yale College. I got accepted as a part of a full scholarship program.

I was born and bred in Britain. I had a Russian mother and an American father. The thought always made me smile especially when my parents and I used to watch a movie that Russia and America were fighting. People, they should meet my parents, they were totally in love.

After a long day of classes, I decided to go to my favorite place. It was becoming a habit. Pinkberry was my favorite ice cream shop. It was a sunny day. I decided to sit inside the shop, I didn't want my strawberry ice cream to start melting before eating it.

Today the shop was crowded. A mother sitting at the corner with her daughter smiling. Gush, I miss home!

A group of teens sitting near the window and making fun of each others. Two couples at the back, I turned my head away from them. I didn't want to spy on them. Then, two guys entered the shop. One talking on the phone and the other was choosing his ice cream flavor. The guy on the phone was wearing a yellow shirt. He was angry, and he saw me staring. I didn't catch the expression on his face because I turned my face and watched people cross the street. This shop was covered with long windows, so you can never get bored. Everything was visible from outside. Then I saw a man from across the street, he looked strange. Wearing all black and I had a bad feeling about him. He was looking at the shop, directly at the man who was on the phone couple of minutes ago. The blond guy was trying to choose a seat. Then it happened, the stranger was pulling something from his back. I didn't know if what I was presuming was right. But waiting wasn't an option. I ran forward where the blond guy was standing.

I screamed, "Everyone, move and hide under the tables," and I pushed his hard chest and we collapsed to the ground. Then I couldn't notice my surrounding from all the shooting and the glass that were scattered everywhere.

I closed my eyes. I felt my heart was about to stop. The commotion stopped after what seemed forever. People started talking and police cars were heard from a distance. I just opened my eyes to be met with blue ones staring deeply at my face. I looked back at him. I couldn't understand the expression on his face, was it recognition? I couldn't tell. Well, I did save his life.

After that the police entered the shop, the place was ruined from all the shooting. Reporters were parking their vehicles, cameras taking pictures of the scene. No one was killed. I was still standing next to the blond guy, the guy that was with him approached us and hugged the blond guy. "Are you ok, Pal?" The blond guy just nodded and glanced my way. While I was telling the police officer in full details what I saw and how I reacted, the blond guy never took his eyes off me. Then I pulled the officer to the side away from the blue eyes that were following my every move, "I need your help officer, I don't want the reporters to see my face, I just want to focus on my study with no other distractions, I was wondering if I can walk from the back without anyone following me. I can't live with all this attention." The officer didn't refuse but asked where do I live and what college I attend, because he'll be needing me to describe the suspect and to ask some questions.

Just when I was about to leave, I was stopped by him, the blond guy. He was standing in my way. "Where do you think you are going?" I was surprised by his sharp voice and his commanding tone..
"Excuse me, what does it look like I am doing? Now please move out of the way. I have to leave."
"No," he said with a smirk on his face.
I can't believe this guy, smirking at times like this. "What do you want?" I raised my eyebrows.
He took my hand, "walk with me." I didn't have the chance to object, all the reports were asking questions, I tried to hide my face. I was looking to the ground. It was crowded. I couldn't breathe. I managed to free my hand from his hold. All the cameras were focused on his face, was he a celebrity, or what?

I took my chance and started running, I was exhausted, I wasn't a good runner. I wasn't in good shape. I love playing basketball but is had been a while. I was tired from the hectic week. Studying, moving and I still couldn't adapt to my new surroundings. I wasn't eating well. Most of the time, I ate one meal, drank about four cups of coffee to stay awake. I wasn't sleeping well.

My feet lead me to the park. I sat on the bench, I was trying to steady my heart beats. Few people were passing by, no reporters around. Thank God. I saw someone from a distance, I looked closer, it was him, the same guy. The suspect from earlier, who was watching the scene with all the reporters. I felt my breathing was heavy. Did he see me? He didn't see me.. I don't think he saw my face. He doesn't know me. He started walking. His steps were making me shiver. They were so loud and heavey. Although the guy was now far away, I didn't know what was happening to me. I stood up from my place, trying to walk without falling. Then I hit a hard figure, I was met by angry blue eyes. I tilted my head to look at his face. His lips were moving, but I couldn't hear anything. He had a concerned look on his face. Then, I was embraced by darkness.
I was trying to open my eyes, I felt his warm touch. He was calling my name. I didn't tell him my name. I managed to open my eyes, he was trying to steady me, "Are you ok?"
I shook my head. I was too tired.
He put his hand on my back and then the other on my legs and I was carried in his arms. After that, I lost consciousness.

I woke up later to the rhythm of my heart. I was starting to panic. What happened?
I heard the door open, the scary guy was here. He had a devilish look on his face. I started shouting, "help"
It was the end. I am going to die. I was shaking. "Don't touch me"

Just when i thought my life would end without saying goodbye to my family, I was met by blue eyes.

"It was a bad dream, you are safe," he uttered slowly.

"What happened? I asked.

"Nothing to worry about, you were just tired." He managed to put a weak smile. "I'll go get the doctor"

"N-No, wait," I said with so much determination.
He looked at my face waiting for what I had to say.
"H-He was at the park"
"Who do you mean?" He looked confused.
"The guy who tried to kill you"
He kept staring at my face. Worry drawn around his face. "I promise, you'll be fine, the suspect was caught. The police saw the whole incident from the street camera. Everything is under control. He'll pay for his actions."

He wanted to say something else but the doctor entered the room.
"Miss Bloom, you fainted because of stress, your body lacks the energy, you need to nourish yourself with food and lots of sleep," He assured me that there was nothing to worry about. "Ms. Bloom, you are free to go. Just remember you need to rest."

"Thank you doctor." With that the doctor left the room.

The guy didn't leave, I was contemplating whether I should thank him or not. His voice broke the silence.

"Thank you, Ms. Julia for saving my life," he said it while looking through the window. He didn't turn to look at me.
"You're welcome, Mr..," I don't know his name. What should I call him.

"You got to me kidding me!" He cracked a laugh. "You don't think I would fall for that"

"Fall for what?" I was confused.

He looked quizzically at me and said, "You really don't know who I am?"

"Sorry for hurting your feelings but no, I don't know who you are, should there be a reason why I need to know such information? Are you a celebrity, or something?" I was starting to get irritated. Hot or not, no body talks to me like that.

He stood shocked. I wasn't going to wait for the idiot to talk. I was heading out of the room, I had better things to do. "Wait, stop." I stopped but didn't turn. So he continued, " My name is Samuel Gates, my Grandpa is Bill Gates, I am the CEO to his multi companies."
Being the girl I am, I never cared for money. My parents were rich. I wanted to be independent, not relaying on anyone. I studied really well and my efforts were on the right track. Now I am studying with a full scholarship.
I always preferred friendship and integrity. Mr. Gates has to try harder to impress me. I cared for my education and that's what matter at the moment.

Samuel was waiting for my reaction. As soon as he finished his words, I turned my face and said, " And I should care because... It was enough to say your name." I walked towards him " I'm Julia, Julia Bloom, but you already know that," with that I shook his hand.
"A student at Yale College."

With that I left him shocked but amused. Though I heard him say, "Julia Bloom, you are really something"