29: Robin

"What King Richard secret was Little John talking about?" Marion demanded from me, "You said there would be no more secrets between us."

"Calm down Marion," I said getting irritated.

"It has been days since Little John left and ever since then I have been asking you the same question every day. You however refuse to tell me," Marion argued.

"Marion it was four years ago do not worry about it," I responded trying to focus my attention elsewhere.

"Robin!" Marion practically yelled into my ear.

Looking about my men had turned their heads towards us. Not wanting to cause a seen I pulled Marion into an empty tent nearest to us. Pulling up two crates I motioned for Lady Marion to sit down with me.

"If I tell you, you cannot say any of what I say to anyone else," I professed.

"I promise no one will know what you tell me," Marion vowed.

As I sat closer to Lady Marion the secret that took place four years ago was running through my head.

Pa, the merry men, Little John and I had been traveling to Nottingham's border for days. Once we arrived at the north of the border we found a secret camp. Sending a spy to investigate further we soon found out it was a small part of King Richards's army. The moment my Pa found this out he moved all of us forward. If we could find the King we could tell King Richard of his traitorous brother Prince John.

Entering the camp the king was nowhere to be found. The General however we could see was there in the camp. Pa approached the general requesting to speak to King Richard. The General refused our request. Out of courtesy the general let us stay the night. Not being able to sleep my insides jumped when I heard a twig snap. With only the dim fire as a light I saw a man standing over the general and he had a sword pointed at the general's chest.

Quickly grabbing my bow and arrow I shot an arrow right into the intruders head. The man's sword dropped to the ground loudly along with the dead man's body. Startled the general awoke to the sight before him. Looking around his eyes laded on mine.

"You just saved my life," The General whispered.

When the sun rose the general had me show off my shooting skills. There was not one challenge I could not defeat. Pa told everyone how I have been able to shoot since I was nine. Impressed the general commanded me to join King Richard's army. Pa knew if I was the King's army we could get our message to the King himself.

I agreed to join the general for Pa's sake, it was not until we went into actual battle that I became afraid. Left to right everyone was dying against those we came into battle with, as we made our way to the King. Blood oozed on the ground everywhere my feet stepped there lay a dead body. Making my way over to above ground I perched in a hidden tree shooting my arrows. Several men lived because of me.

Soon two men began fighting under my tree. The man from the other side stabbed one of King Richard's men. The same guy who killed him chopped his head off with his sword. Sick to my stomach I killed the man from the other army. Climbing down my eyes noticed more bodies lay on the ground from both sides, the sight was chilling.

Knowing there would be more battles after this especially when we drew nearer to the King I grew more frightened. Having Pa real proud of me I could not refuse the general's offer. Right then and there I realized the only way to get out of King Richard's army was to be wounded. Taking an arrow out I lifted it up ready to meet the consequences.

"Robin what are you doing?" Little John asked coming up from behind me.

I gulped ashamed, "I am afraid Little John. I cannot do this."

Not wanting Little John to talk me out of what my mind had already decided I stabbed the arrow into my left leg. Pain surged through my body. Falling over onto the dirt I let out a ear curdling scream. Forcing myself to see past the spots that began dancing around my head I removed the arrow. Throwing the arrow to Little John he caught the bloody arrow with ease.

"Get rid of it," I ordered.

Little John frowned breaking the arrow in half and tossing it to the side.

"You are a coward," Little John spat.

"Call me what you want just promise to never tell...anyone," I slowly breathed out.

Before Little John could say anything more I heard footsteps approaching.

"Robin!" Pa called out.

Right before Pa came I pleaded with Little John one last time. "Please do not say anything."

Little John gritted his teeth, "For the sake of your families reputation."

"Someone help me!" A girl's voice cried out.

Little John disappeared going after to find the girl.

Pa soon was at my side to help me with my leg. After he treated my wound Pa decided it was not worth the lives of his men and son to fight our way to King Richard. With that we packed up our things. Pa wrote a letter to the King and handed it to the general in hopes of it reaching King Richard in time before things got worse in Nottingham. Then like we always do we found our way and a new camp site to stay hidden at for a little while.

"That is what Little John meant when he said I had lied. I admit wounding myself was not my most prideful days especially the next night," I revealed.

"What did you say the next night?" Marion questioned.

"I told the merry men that witches were nasty and evil," I pause regretting that night, "And the only reason I said this was so they would like me. Later my father found out what I said and was displeased. As punishment he made me stand guard three nights in a row then made me wash my mouth with soap the whole while my father telling me I should be ashamed of myself."

Marion took my hand.

"Robin you were only fifteen what you did in battle and said about your sister back then is not the man I see today," Marion stated, "You accepted your sister as a witch and ignored all those horrible rumors about Rosa. You lead your merry men everyday into a battle for the poor and against the rich. I am proud to be with and in love with such a brave man."

I leaned my forehead against Marion's.

"You are?" I whispered.

"I am," Marion whispered back.

Kissing Marion on the lips I smiled.

"Let's get married today," I declared.

"Today? Are you sure Robin?" Marion asked.

"There is no doubt in my mind about us being together. Why wait?" I remarked.

"There is not a doubt in my mind either," Marion repeated.

I kissed her on the lips.

"Then what are we waiting for?" I announced.

Grabbing my hand Marion pulled me out of the tent. A smile on both our faces as we ran through the camp shouting at everyone to gather around. Both of us knowing that everyone at camp would support us and that Friar Tuck would wed us knowing of our undying love for one another.

____________________________________________________

Picture of Friar Tuck at the top I know I only mention him once but he'll be in it a few more times. Comment and vote it always motivates my writing more!