19: Little John

The whole trip back was silent. I looked at Rosa, I think she thinks it's shameful to cry. I wanted to tell her there is no shame in crying; I was worried what she would say if I happened to misinterpret the situation. Finding out your father has been dead for the past year would be hard to swallow. Adam Hood might not have been my father, but I always looked up to him; after all he raised me for six years of my life taking me in when I had nothing. Mr. Hood was the one who started the group of merry men, he was brave, happy, and a very accepting, loving man who did not deserve to die like the way he did.

Glancing at Rosa through the corners of my eyes I hesitated on what to say.

Suddenly Rosa pulled Thorn's reins, "Did you hear that?"

Stopping Chestnut I listened not sure what she had heard. Rosa jumped off her horse and silently started walking towards the main road.

"Rosa come back," I whispered.

"Quiet," Rosa shushed me.

Sliding off of Chestnut I followed Rosa to a tree where she peeked her head out. Going behind her I peeked my head out as well. In the main road two men who looked like they were coming from the castle road on their horses were talking to each other.

"We need to get closer," Rosa whispered.

"No we need to leave," I whispered back.

Rosa ignored me as she started climbing up a tall large tree. Groaning inward I followed right behind her. Together we sat on the lowest branch on the tree however Rosa was sitting too close to the edge.

"I still can't hear them," Rosa whispered agitated.

"Who cares they are just regular men who work in the castle," I whispered.

"Exactly. They should know everything that is going on with the Prince," Rosa inched closer.

Any closer she would fall down to the ground exposing and hurting herself. Quickly without thinking twice I hugged my legs around the tree hanging myself upside down. This would get me closer to hearing what they were saying without Rosa putting herself in danger.

"Little John get back up here," Rosa demanded.

"I can't," I murmured.

My legs loosened a little.

"Rosa grab my legs I'm slipping," I whispered.

I could feel Rosa's arms wrap around my legs.

"Come back up Little John before you fall," Rosa voiced.

"Not yet, now quiet," I said trying to listen.

"I still cannot believe it's been a whole summer season of Prince John not telling anyone," Guy one said.

"He had to get everything in order," Guy number two replied.

"Still the death of King Richard should have been announced at the beginning of the summer when the Prince heard the news," Guy one said.

"Prince John was going to, but he was told he could not be King until he found a bride. That way no one could try anything on him while he looks," Guy number two explained.

"True, after all Lady Marion from the North of Nottingham was engaged to King Richard, and when Prince John asked her to marry him out of the duty for the Kingdom Lady Marion said she could not marry the Prince not saying why. Which means-"

"Little John your slipping," Rosa groaned.

"Just a second," I hushed.

"Now ladies and princesses from everywhere are coming to meet the Prince. Then out of those women the Prince will pick his future Queen then become our King," Guy number two said.