18: Red

Man am I tired. Last night was not a good night I had the worst nightmare. I dreamed about being chased by werewolves there's nothing scary about that, but as I ran I stumbled a crossed something. Turning around I found Little John lying on the ground blood oozing out as the werewolves came after me a few of them started to eat Little John's body. Not wanting to see I turned around someone shouting my name; looking up I found my father in a tree his hand reached out towards me. Reaching up I almost had my father's hand when my father came tumbling towards the ground the fall killing him. My eyes widened as I looked up I found a dark figure standing up in the trees.

"My mission is accomplished," The man said, "Now both your parents are dead."

That's when Little John had woken me up. The dream its self was freaky and I knew the man in the tree was the werewolf who had killed my mother and had tried to kill the rest of my family. The thing is that werewolf that man's name was Leon and he was dead. Leon seeked me out, out of revenge because when I had sent all his men away when I was nine, I had accidentally killed all of them but Leon. When I was twelve years old he jumped out at me in the woods as I carried a basket of berries back to Granny's house. Scared to death I dropped the basket running as fast as I could away from the man who had killed my mother. Soon though I was trapped as I backed myself up against a tree waiting to be swallowed up by this evil werewolf man. Just as he closed in an ax came flying out of nowhere striking Leon in the head killing him instantly. My heart pounding in my chest I turned around finding Little John climbing down from the tree I stood under. Overwhelmed with emotions I ran up to Little John embracing him for saving me from the horrible werewolf man.

Even though he had been the little boy who had deceived me that first day we had met I knew the moment he had saved my life that I owed him. Soon after we became instant friends the morning I woke up to find Little John gone was when I realized I wasn't just friends with him because he saved my life. I was friends with him because I trusted him and then with him leaving I thought I could never trust him again.

Glancing at Little John as we rode to our unknown destination I knew I was wrong; I could always trust Little John. Right now I am a little frustrated with the fact he dragged me out of bed not bothering to tell me where we were going, but I knew I could trust his judgement.

The day went on slowly, Little John was quiet the whole ride. Usually I would have said something or teased him but even though I trusted him I was still grumpy from the little rest I had gotten that night. Hopefully tonight will be different and I will be able to get some rest.

Little John suddenly brought his horse to a stop.

"We will camp here tonight," He declared.

Keeping quiet I swung off of Thorn and onto the ground; moving my body around it felt nice to stretch. Thorn pawed at the ground, grabbing his saddle and reins I pulled them off of him. As soon as they were off Thorn took off to eat some grass with the other horse.

"What's your horse's name?" I asked Little John.

"Chestnut, why?" Little John asked quizzically.

"Just making conversation," I answered.

Little John nodded, "Once we get some wood I will start a fire and cook."

"I can get the fire wood," I volunteered.

Little John nodded in agreement as he started getting the food out silently.

I sighed frustrated. I miss the teasing, joking Little John. What is on his mind to be so serious with me? If this is how he is going to be for the rest of our trip then it's going to be a long journey.