Part 29:

As everyone started to clear out, Draco remained, staring towards the floor in fascination.

The three of you had met up with the boys for the last half hour in the back section. You'd all been very cautious with your words.

"Are you coming?" You asked.

"Yeah, I just have to grab something," you could tell he wasn't telling the truth.

You nodded in response, taking the hint. You brought Casey with you as you exited the train.

Draco caught up with you not long after.

"What happened?" You asked while Casey was distracted by some other students.

"Potter was trying to spy on us. I handled it," he whispered back.

You were a bit concerned with his answer, but you didn't even want to know the rest.

Rachel and Millicent walked further ahead and whenever they looked back you felt the need to duck. You didn't want to face them yet. They were probably mad at you for not writing them all summer.

When you made it to the Great Hall, the teachers sat in their usual spots at the front of the room. Everyone prepared for the sorting hat ceremony. Students started filling up their house's tables, leaving room at the ends for the first years.

You pulled Draco to the spots closest to where Harry's friends sat. They were opposite you at the Gryffindor table. You had to at least pretend to spy on them.

Weasley caught your eye and you watched him glance at Draco. His mouth turned into a straight line. You looked away.

Dumbledore started with his yearly announcements, including introducing the knew Defence Against the Dark Art's teacher. This year, it was professor Umbridge. You already hated her. Her speech had you almost falling asleep. Her class was not something you looked forward to. But you knew she was an ally, so you'd have to respect her.

Draco reached under the table and grabbed your hand out of habit. you squeezed back.

The sorting hat sang its song and the crowd erupted into cheers. The clapping kept rising again as the houses gained their new members.

This year Slytherin had the least first years. Ravenclaw surprisingly gained the most.

before you started eating, Rachel and your friends sat down next to you. you pushed aside your anxiety and gave them each a hug.

"Hey! I haven't talked to you in forever." Rachel spoke.

"I'm so sorry, I've been so busy," it sounded like an excuse.

You tried acting like you would have last year. You tried to be the old you, but it wasn't easy.

After a while of small talk and eating, everyone started making their way to the dorms. You had done an okay job so far at being normal. Good enough not to raise questions, which was all that mattered.

You walked Casey to the Hufflepuff common rooms, hugging him goodbye. Draco followed with you. Then you both went down to the dungeons.