Part 5:

On the night of the fireworks, it was bitter outside. You wanted to be extra warm. You layered your clothes and put on your winter gear. Everyone else in your dorm was getting ready as well. The Christmas spirit was starting to spread.

Despite how you'd felt about Draco at the start of the year, you were grateful for tonight. The view was going to be incredible, and he was the only one who could understand your situation. Maybe you could make a true friendship with him after all.

The two of you met on the stairs like you'd planned.

"Hey," He said as you approached.

"Hi," You smiled as you both started heading up the staircase.

"I had a hard time explaining to Parkinson why I wouldn't watch with her. She almost made me late."

You giggled in response, imagining her whiny voice.

Reaching the balcony, you started shivering. You'd been told it was freezing out, but hadn't realized it was this bad. Even Draco's cheeks turned red.

You both walked through the snow, and over to the bench that looked over the grounds. You helped him wipe away the frost, and then you both sat. You rubbed your hands together trying to warm them.

"When do they start?" You asked.

"A couple of minutes," He paused for a bit, and you both stared out into the winter sky.

"We have to go home tomorrow," His voice was now low, he sounded disappointed.

You didn't want to focus on that, but you knew it would've came up eventually.

You contemplated for a moment, before saying, "If anything happens, you can write to me. I know how lonely it can get."

You felt bad. You didn't want anyone to have to go through this alone.

"I will, if you do the same," He replied.

"I can do that." You nodded in agreement, "do you think your father will be in a good mood?"

"Yeah, I guess. He's usually busy around now. How about you?"

You stopped to think, finally finishing with, "I'm honestly not sure."

After a moment of him contemplating, he gently reached over a supportive hand. You accepted it. You'd both been wearing gloves, and your palms started to sweat soon, but you held on. You smiled to yourself. You finally found someone you could talk to, and it felt nice.

After you sat there like that for a while, the magic finally began. The first firework made you jump. It flew up into the air and exploded with a loud chime. It was gold, and so insanely beautiful.

The second one went off, turning into a huge red lion, for Gryffindor. You peeked over at Draco. He rolled his eyes at this display, the shine from them lit up his face. The next one was a yellow badger, for Hufflepuff.

When the green snake for Slytherin came up, you felt pride for your house for the first time.

"Wow." You heard him whisper.

When you got back to the common room that night, you realized what a great time you'd had. Draco had opened up to you a bunch, telling you all about his lack of true friendships, despite the people he was surrounded by. You'd learned how much he cared about his grades, and his aspirations to join the Quidditch team.

You told him you were still considering his friendship. He laughed at that.

It wasn't exactly true anymore. There wasn't much else to think about. You were pretty sure he was gonna be there for you from now on, and you'd made the decision to support him in return.

You got multiple glares from Pansy, who sat with her other friends. Crabbe had already left early but Goyle joined the two of you. All three of you sat for a while talking about Christmas plans. It felt like things might finally start looking up.