Part 47:

You listened as your Headmaster began to stall for his life. His voice was clear from where you stood, but the words stopped processing. All you could focus on was your next choice.

Snape abandoned his position and stepped out to assist Draco. You knew he would protect him when it came down to it.

You realized that this was it. This would be your only shot. You couldn't bring yourself to do it to save your own life, but Casey needed you.

"I hear something. I'm going to investigate," You whispered to the closest Death Eater.

Without another word, and before you could talk yourself out of it, you grabbed your brothers hand and started to move.

People cried out in battle underneath you. You headed down the stairs anyways, scanning your brain for a plan.

"Where are we going, (Y/N)?" He began to fret.

"Away from here," you replied.

You paused on the middle level, frantically searching for a way to escape. There was nothing. It was either up or down. Both areas were surrounded.

"Shh." You quietly warned, suddenly hearing Dumbledore's voice growing closer.

You tip toed toward the sounds, discovering a hole in the ceiling. It was just big enough to reveal the Headmaster's face, hidden behind the back stairwell.

You couldn't bring yourself to watch.

Just as you were about to turn around and head back to your position, something stopped you dead in your tracks.

Is that breathing? You thought to yourself with a  shiver down your spine. There was a presence nearby.

Instinctively, you turned to your left, and slowly reached out your hand.

Sure enough, it ended up hitting an invisible surface. You jumped backwards.

"Reveal yourself!" You whispered harshly towards the magical force.

There was no response.

Building up your courage, you reached out once more. You felt some sort of fabric. Knotting your fingers in it, you ripped it away.

Harry Potter himself was revealed. He was frozen in place, unable to move a muscle. He stared up at Dumbledore with tears staining his cheeks.

For a moment, you glanced back and forth from him and the scene. You could tell it was about to happen.

"Look away, Harry," you shook his arm trying to get him to snap out of it.

"Harry?"

Still no reply.

Thinking fast, You grabbed Casey and huddled him into your back, throwing the cloak over all three of you. You reached up and shielded Potter's eyes just in time.

You could hear Dumbledore's final words, "Severus, please."

"Avada kedavra!" The unforgivable curse had been cast.

The protests from Draco told you all you needed to know. It's done.

———-

"RETREAT!" You heard someone shout.

People began exiting the tower. Footsteps passed right above your heads.

Harry's body slumped forward, you pulled up your sleeve and muffled his sobs. It felt wrong to grab at him this way, but you were in full survival mode. He had to let them pass without revealing you.

It only took a minute or two before the death eaters were out of earshot. You released him, watching as his expression turn from devastation into pure rage.

"Where's Snape?!" He bellowed, trying to get past you.

"Harry, STOP! Listen to me," you urged, using everything in you not to lose it.

"He killed him. HE KILLED HIM!" He dodged under your arm and rushed towards the window, trying to spot his target.

"Please. You have to understand, he would've killed Draco if he didn't-" he cut you off, turning and narrowing in on you.

"You can't be so naive. How can you possibly defend them? I'll kill them all," his threat made your own anger rise.

"How dare you? They are just as much victims in this as we are," you tried to reason with him.

He ignored you in his aggravated state, moving towards the next window.

"No, NO! He's gone," he cried out.

After a moment, of stomping back and forth, he collapsed back into a wall, and slid into a sitting position. He covered his face with his hands and his shoulders began to shake.

"Casey, come here," your brother listened, following you to the wall across from Harry.

You propped yourself up, staring off into the darkness. All you could think of was Draco. How terrified he must be, and how he'd have to go through the rest of this alone. You wanted more than anything to be in his arms.

———-

You had no clue how much time passed before Ron and Hermione showed up.

You tensed when you heard them coming. It was such a relief when they entered the room. You knew they'd be able to de-escalate things and take over.

"Harry!" Hermione rushed to his side, kneeling beside him.

Ron joined them, but kept his eyes pinned on you.

"What are you doing here?" He barked in your direction.

"We escaped," you began to explain, "Dumbledore promised me safety once. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help you win."

After a moment he gave a slight nod of acceptance towards your answer. Everyone turned their attention back to Harry.

He explained to them what happened as quickly as possible. He'd been hardly able to process it himself at this point. You watched as they tried to hold in their shock.

You didn't even noticed the locket he'd been staring at until now. Everyone else began to eye it as well.

"It's not even real. We went through all of that for nothing," he continued, "There's a note inside."

He handed it to Hermione.She unfolded the paper and started to read.

"To the dark lord, I know I will be dead long before you read this, but I want you to know that it is I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more. R.A.B." She finished with confusion.

"Who's R.A.B?" Ron asked.

"I don't know," Harry replied, voice dripping with defeat, "but whoever they are, they have the real Horcrux."

You were all at a loss for words. The sun started rising in the distance. The warm glow sent shadows across the stone walls.

"We should go home soon, everyone's gonna worry," Ron broke the silence.

"No," Harry responded, "I can't stop now. I have to finish what Dumbledore started."

"We're coming with you," Hermione spoke for the two of them.

You nodded in agreement, "I'm coming too."

To your surprise, no one protested.

You wanted more than anything to take down the monster who had destroyed your life. You were willing to die trying.