Chapter Nineteen

"You push the clutch and pick the gear you want and you're good to go." Petra Instructed from the passenger seat. I tried to put the clutch in but nothing happened, "wait for it to vibrate." I tried again, it vibrated and I put the gear into drive, moving my foot over to the accelerator, We drove around the circular drive way a few times so I could get used to it.

"What happened last night with you and Sam?" I was in the middle of changing gears when I managed to stall, distracted by Petra's question. I glanced up to the porch where I had an audience watching my driving lesson. I had been trying my hardest not to notice him there.

"Nothing. We drank a beer and went to bed."

"Then why is Sam walking around all quiet and morose?"

"Maybe he has a hang over?" I slowed the car down and put it into park. Petra's twenty question insiquition was starting up. It was time to kick her out.

"No something definitely happened. Did he get any more calls last night?" No wonder Sam seemed grumpy all the time. I would be too if someone was starting to get over-involved.

"Sam's a big boy Petra, if something was wrong I am sure he will tell you."

"Ha, I get it. It's my cue to leave." She smiled "It's none of my business. Don't worry, I'll go bug Sam, He'll tell me sooner or later."

"Thanks again for letting me borrow your care. I promise, I'll have it back in one piece."

Long as I don't hit any more kangaroos. She hopped out of the car, and leaned into the window. "Are you sure you don't need any help? I can help load your car up with stuff. or Sam if theres anything heavy." Yea, I am sure Sam loved having his services offered without being asked first. "I'm good. I wont be long, back before dark and all that." She backed from the window and gave a wave before heading up to the porch and joining Sam leaning on the porch railing.

I took my time reserving out slowly, and started to drive up the dusty drive way onto the highway. I pulled out the map I picked up from the park from my back pocket and Laid it out on the seat next to me.

Turning off the driveway I joined up onto the highway. The map didn't tell me much, other than Jenolan road was where I'd find my car.  I decided to start at the top of the road that descended down to the caves. I was pretty sure I hadn't travelled far from as I drove down the road, I tried to keep an eye out for any signs of where my car went. I hit the steering wheel in frustration. There was no way I was going to be able to spot my car from the road. the embankment was much further down. I was going to have to park the car somewhere and walk along the side of the road. I pulled the car over and got out re-adjusting my borrowed shorts. they were a little too short for my liking, but it was hot and the options were limited. my emergency credit card was residing in that car and that was going to get me clothes to last my stay here. You could save yourself all the fuss and just call brad to post your stuff out to you, or even Lisa could do it... I shook my head. I was pretty sure Ginny would have had my clothes at the salvos soon as I hit the road that friday. She tried it once, she'll do it again.

I looked over the embankment. Hoping my car would just appear in front of me. No such luck. checking my watch I saw it was nearing mid-day. re-tied up my hair out of nervousness and made my way down to the bottom of the embankment. "Come on..." I willed my car to appear. There was nothing I could see from where I was standing. I didn't want to stray too far from the car and risk getting lost again. So I made my way back up to the car and drove further down the road, repeating the whole process again.

Where was this stupid car? I'd inched the car a little further each time getting out and looking down the side. I was getting nervous that I had gotten the wrong spot completely. I was so sure it hadn't travelled far from the road. I'd remembered seeing the kangaroo at the top of the embankment looking down and laughing at me. Kangaroos don't laugh. I reminded myself But If he could I am sure he would have been. I caught something glistening in the sun. It was my car! I could see the sun bouncing off the side mirror. I picked up my speed and did a quick jog over to my car. I stretched my arms wrapping it around the back window and gave it a massive smooch.