CHAPTER 27

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

THE CLOCK THAT hung on the walls of my classroom had its hands rested on the dot. Immediately after the second hand touched the number twelve, a blaring alarm rang through the hallways to signal the end of class. With movements nearly robotic, I shoved my books into my bag, eager to get out of class.

Chaos ensued in the hallways. The door of each and every classroom slammed opened, students streaming out on the linoleum tiles, eager to get home as soon as possible. Some looked forward to spend the rest of the day with their friends while others sought for some quiet hours with themselves. I, on the other hand, had my eyebrows furrowed and lips pursed. My best friend and comrade had been missing the whole day.

Impatient and annoyed, I reached into my pocket, pulling out my sleek phone before quickly typing in my passcode followed by the contact name. My fingers flew over the keyboard, scribbling down words before I could ever properly voice them out.

'Apollo, where are you?' I wrote before hitting the send button.

While waiting for his reply, I stood by my locker, impatiently tapping my feet against the ground. Each movement created an echoing sound, the click of my heeled shoes unforgiving even in the hustle and bustle created by the rest of the student body.

I hadn't even noticed, nor felt, the presence of two others approach me. It was only when I smelt the unmistakable waft of their branded perfume had I snapped back to attention, quickly locking my phone before tucking it into the pocket of my skinny jeans.

"Iridessa, right?" The first girl said.

Her bright baby blue eyes were lit with such joy that I honestly would've thought it sincere if I hadn't recognized her. The blonde cheerleader flicked her golden hair over one shoulder, twisting the ends delicately all with a smile curving her pink lips. My eyes narrowed. She was the one that caused all the trouble between Victoria and I in the first place.

"I'm sorry. You are?" I asked nonchalantly, quickly turning back to face my locker.

I fiddled with the lock, twisting the knob to the correct set of numbers before pulling it wide open. Shoving a few textbooks inside, I slammed it shut again just when she was about to speak. If she was irritated with me, she surely did not show. Instead, the girl calmly cleared her throat before smiling brightly again.

"Felicity. I was one of Victoria's friends, awhile ago."

"Awhile ago?" I raised an eyebrow, folding my arms across my chest. "So you aren't her friend now?"

That question caught her off guard. Felicity stuttered for a split second, lips parted and gaping while she moved her manicured hands, the polish on her nails catching the light with each and every movement. Finally, she winced before stretching her lips back into a smile, straightening up.

"Well, no. She hasn't been herself lately. If you hadn't heard the news, Jacob broke up with her and Victoria did not take the news too well. She's grown... distant."

I scoffed. Right as I was about to reply, my phone buzzed, signaling a new message coming in. I did not hesitate to unlock my phone to check the message, very much aware that Felicity was still looking at me intently like a predator would a prey. Fingers tapping the screen of my phone, I scrolled to the notification, eyes scanning over the message. It was Apollo.