CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER FOUR

ON AN AVERAGE day, it would pretty safe to say that in such a situation, it was every man for himself. After all, in this school, Jacob and Victoria ruled as the undoubted royalties that had hundreds of beloved subjects that originate from the student body. Thankfully, I was lucky today and there was someone else in this school with enough of guts to challenge this fixed unspoken rule. My knight in shining armor had stepped in, fists still clenched and eyebrows still furrowed even as the crowd went wild at the sight of Jacob's body slamming onto the ground due to the sheer amount of force he had been hit with.

The 'king' groaned in pain, hand flying to his cheek to hold the forming bruise as Victoria immediately dropped to her knees beside him, gently trying to raise him from her ground. Her manicured fingers were urgently searching for the tell-tale signs of injury like how a protective mother would. From where I currently stood, I could tell first hand that Jacob's face was no longer a pretty sight. The attacker – and my hero – had definitely aimed to leave an injury as a warning. Jacob's eyes were bruised in the nastiest shade of blue-black, his nose slightly crooked as blood gushed out as if it were a switched on tap.

I turned, a beaming smile hanging off of my features as I very ungracefully wiped off the tomato sauce that was threatening to fall into my eyes. Apollo Hunt stood proud and tall, a killer expression on his features. For a split second, his eyes flickered over to mine before he allowed himself to break out into the tiniest of smiles. He took a quick glance at our surroundings which included student clamoring their way toward us just to catch a glimpse of Jacob's literally wounded features before he decided that perhaps staying in school would not be the best idea.

"As much as I would like to stay and exchange another friendly handshake, I have places to be and messes to clean because of what you did." Apollo squatted down so that he could look Jacob eye-to-eye, whom the latter was still seated on the ground with Victoria's arm over his shoulder in an embrace. "If you rat me out, there will be more of where that came from." He idly pointed to the bruise over Jacob's cheek before standing back up to his full height. Eyeing the crowd, he then spoke again. "Same goes for any of you people. Be a tattletale and you will face consequences."

The crowd burst into gasps and murmurs, everyone turning to their friends with prying eyes, gossiping about the latest scandal of the school which so happened to be me and my new partner in crime. As much as I had craved to be the center of attention, negative publicity was not the sort that I wanted. I could find myself cowering a little under all of their intense gazes, my fingers fidgeting before I felt Apollo's large hands envelope mine.

Within seconds, we were out of the doors of the cafeteria, the crowd of students behind us going wild at our departure. When I attempted to take a glimpse behind me, I noticed Victoria still helping Jacob up to his feet as he stared furiously in our direction.

"He seems very pissed off," I muttered absentmindedly under my breath.

"I wouldn't care about it too much if I were you, sunshine. He will get over it." Apollo waved off without much concern.

"I thought men had an unrivaled pride?"

"And hell hath no fury like a woman scorned so you should be more wary about Snow instead, in my opinion. Though it is a slightly different reason for her anger, it's still a woman's anger we're talking about here," Apollo quipped back.

The both of us were quickly walking away from the cafeteria and in the direction of where I recognized the front doors to be.

"Wait, where are we going? We can't just leave school. I just got here!" I blurted out.