CHAPTER 1

[A/N]:

This is the edited version of the original book. If there are still any errors, please leave an in-line comment for me. Thank you very much and I hope you enjoy reading.

xx aurora

CHAPTER ONE

A PATTERN.

It had always been a pattern. My whole life was filled with it after my transfer here to Crescent Grove High in California. Having moved from a quiet neighborhood in Minnesota, I was not used to the hustle and bustle in which the city of angels offered. Everybody here stood out one way or another, but I was just there, simply doing nothing more than existing.

Even until today, I could remember the very scene in which I had first moved over to California. It had been freshman year for me when I first transferred over. As a new girl in town, desperate to make some new friends that could hopefully help me ease the burden of high school, I placed on a smile and went about greeting everyone in which I could possibly get my hands on. It was only after that first day had I realized the upsetting truth about the highly raved-about school. Not a single person had bothered to smile back nor did they lend a helping hand when I was caught wandering aimlessly lost around the school which caused me to come to the realization that not everyone in this world was a friendly soul.

As the days bled into months then years, my confidence started to tip downward, reducing myself into a shell of the girl in which I once was. I had come to the state of acceptance sometime during my sophomore year. I accepted that I was no special girl like my parents had made me out to be all of my childhood, and unfortunately, I might never be special enough when placed in an area filled with what society deemed as gods.

Fast forward a couple more years, now that I am in my senior year, I had fitted into the category of 'wallflowers' rather well. Other than the fact that I had no one to accompany me – whether within the boundaries of this god-forsaken school or outside – I had also blended in perfectly well into the shadows. All I am able to do is to watch as the other students went about their more exciting lives, no matter if the said excitement was for better or for worse.

However, by a stroke of miraculous luck, this pattern of repeating daily events in which I had grown accustomed to soon broke. My life took a drastic turn, spinning out of control on one fine day in which I was walking home alone—nothing out of the ordinary. It all started thanks to a single failed test and hence a disturbance in my daily routine.

-----

I stood at the other side of the teacher's desk, hands placed behind my back as I nervously fiddled my thumbs together. My calculus teacher, Miss Johnson, had never been my favorite teacher, and similarly, I was never quite her favorite student. Now that I had been called behind even after the last bell of the school day had long gone off, I knew for a fact that I was in for another session of berating, most likely due to my disastrous test results.

"Iridessa, you had always been a promising student. I've heard many great things about you from other teachers but I just don't understand why you can have such grades for just one subject when you are easily scoring As for other classes! If you do not brush up your act, I am afraid that you might have to bring your parents in. It is time I talk to them regarding your tuition." With her fingers pressed tightly to her temple, rubbing circles onto her old wrinkled skin, Miss Johnson sighed once. In her other hand were my test papers, the bright bold 'F' marked onto the front cover was as clear as the light of day.